age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

Postby abdullah2k » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:45 am

Hello all! I am 25 years old and depending on my mood, my favourite movie could either be "The Seven Samurai", "Amelie", or "Totoro". My favourite director is Eric Rohmer. I've seen most of his films except for the medieval ones. I'm also a big fan of Iranian cinema and japanese animation. Foreign films, for me, are a great way to experience different cultures, environments and atmosphere while at the same time being a lazy ass couch potato.
abdullah2k

Postby zoe » Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:12 am

This is In response to bdk160's August message which I've only just seen. Yesterday I was thinking about how wonderful American films were during Hollywood's "Golden Age" and it struck me that in fact every one of the great filmmakers from Old Hollywood were indeed European born! Certainly their sensibilities were infused with their "foreign" backgrounds and cultures. I was trying to rationalize including favorite "Hollywood" filmmakers such as Alfred Hitchcock (British) and William Wyler (German). Maybe, as some of the above messages suggest, the distinction is a false one. There are only good films and bad films. (It just happens that most of the bad ones come out of contemporary Hollywood!)
zoe

Postby zoe » Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:19 am

oh, I forgot to add my age: I've been 39 years old for some time now and I've adored cinema since I was 18 months old! I have enjoyed "foreign" films since I was a grade school student when I would catch them on tv in the '60's. Back then, there was no cable but regular television showed all great films from all over the world from the '20's through the '60's and it was wonderful to get home from school and start watching! At least that's how I remember it. (I grew up in New York.)
zoe

Postby montse » Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:20 am

hi there

I recently discovered this site when I was asking for help, as in England it has been launch a message boad for foreign film , but as you know is not very popular like a real blockbuster.

It's a nice website and advert -free and no pop ups, there is a friendly atmosphere to share about films and art-hounse movies.

please do come and visit and give us a hand, we also have message boards about classic cinema, comic book to film and many more!

www.bbc.co.uk/films

Hope see you there!

oh and I am 37 and I live between UK and Spain :-)
montse

Postby rock16 » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:00 am

Hi Dlosconos
Thank you very much for the info on the title film "Amantes". I remember it was a great movie and now I will have to look for it again on DVD. Again, thank you for the info.
Genghiz
rock16

Postby ananda » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:02 pm

32. And worried.
ananda

Postby stingo31 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:42 am

35 here - and though I've been interested in films for a while it wasn't until DVD's came along that I really got into them. That is generally how I see any films (esp international ones) as we only get the multiplex films where I live.
stingo31

Postby Gaz » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:31 pm

19, and I've been addicted to foreign films since I first saw Malle's Le Souffle Au Coeur about 6 years ago. My taste has widened since then to include Herzog, Fassbinder, Truffaut, Kieslowski, Tarkovsky etc. but for me Malle is still the greatest. I'd be happy to hear from anyone else into my kind of films at g_bu@hotmail.com
Gaz

Postby kmcalma » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:24 am

38. Love non-English language films. Lately Ive watched many films from many different countries. As much as Ive enjoyed the French, Italian, and German ones its the Chinese films that I think are most consistently good.
kmcalma

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:21 am

I am a hardcore cinephile and I am 18 years old. I started watching films by Renoir, Bergman, Ozu, Ophuls, Cocteau and Herzog when I was 12. I am the youngest person in Denver to be a member of the Denver Film Society and have written essays on cinema and film for a local Colorado magazine called "5280", sort of like the "New Yorker" for CO. I know more about film and cinema in general than most of my peers (whose average age is 35-55). I like good films, whether they be foreign or not. People seem to have this notion that all foreign films are great. Nope. I haven't read a novel in years, and I only read books of film criticism, studies, and the history of cinema. I live, breathe, drink and eat cinema and am completely obsessed with anything having to do with film. Anyone here who lives in Colorado should e-mail me, cause I'm new to the state and don't really know anyone else who are true film buffs.
bigpoppa_2059

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk