I HATE FELLINI, VISCONTI

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

I HATE FELLINI, VISCONTI

Postby infobs » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:40 am

those 2 film directors direct nothing except their fantams to us. they hate the world around them. they think this world is a comedy. they have sense of derision but not of tragic. they are the tragedy.
infobs

Re: I HATE FELLINI, VISCONTI

Postby Gaz » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:37 am

Perhaps something is lost in the translation, but I can't agree with you that Visconti, at least, has no sense of the tragic. (I'm no Fellini expert.) One only has to watch Death in Venice to understand that (whether the film is to one's taste or not).

Perhaps you are joking - I don't know anyone who would say Fellini and Visconti think the world is a comedy.

In any case, it's rather irrational to make such gross generalisations.
Gaz

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:16 pm

Fellini certainly had a taste for the absurd, and a surreal wit- a circus master, with a film "Clowns". I'm not his biggest fan, but i do think you're being a bit unfair!

As for Visconti; many of his lush dramas (Senso, L'Innocente..) have a bitter sting in the tail. Hadn't thought of him as a joker before, more a serious artist with a keen historical and film-making intelligence, and often a gorgeous visual sense.

No doubt Tarkovsky, Antonioni and Angelopoulos were masters of screwball and slapstick comedy. (There is a little trip in Nostalgia).
john-5

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:05 am

Well, even though you're wrong, you are entitled to your opinion. Fellini had such mastery and control over essentially every aspect of the filmmaking process and film language, that I don't see your point frankly. If you don't like his films, that's fine, but to say that he wasn't a good director is a moot point, because he already proved it many times over before you began typing.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:13 pm

You picked a surprisingly unpopular topic. I am surprised that none of the monsters that hate Fellini aren't supporting you. I for one also think you are wrong. Fellini is great, and maybe all you need is to watch his movies again. This worked wonders for La Dolce Vita. As for Visconti, well he had his moments, and seems too serious to be comic.
wpqx

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, for those of you who don't speak Italian, or understand the Italian psyche, there's a whole lot lost in the translation. 8-1/2 is a brilliant film about a director with writer's block, and everyone with whom he comes into contact has a great idea for his film. The dialogue's simply hilarious.
dianem

Postby Gaz » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:12 pm

And what about Rocco and his Brothers? No sense of tragedy?
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:27 am

Notice how this guy hasn't responded back? Hehehe...I think he knows he was grossly wrong and has seen the truth. I am going to go watch "Senso" now, so excuse me...
bigpoppa_2059

Postby ksparent » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:54 am

I've just watched my second Fellini film (first was 8 1/2, now Julliette). Frankly, I can't say I'm eager to watch my third. You'll never hear me say that I hate him or his films, and I *can* understand why 8 1/2 is considered so great even though it's not my cup of tea, but as a matter of personal tastes, I find Fellini not much to my liking.

But I will check out La Dolce, just to see what he was like before 8 1/2.

ksparent

Postby dianem » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:53 pm

If you're still looking for tragic in Fellini, try La Strada, with Anthony Quinn as Zampano, the circus strongman and Giulietta Masina as Gelsomina, his half-witted assistant...doesn't get more tragic than this....and if you're looking for a scandinavian parallel, go directly to Sawdust & Tinsel...early Bergman.
dianem

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations