top 5 mexican movies

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

top 5 mexican movies

Postby eldalieva » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:34 am

im mexican and i love to see great national movies entering internationally, so tell me your list, mine:
1.viridiana
2.los olvidados
3.amores perros
4.el
5.y tu mama tambien

and if you can tell why did you liked it so muck

thanx
eldalieva

Re: top 5 mexican movies

Postby eldalieva » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:36 am

oh, i forgot, "cronica de un desayuno" is great to (traslation would be something like "story about a breakfast ")
eldalieva

Postby john-5 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:18 pm

Yours is undoubtedly a very strong list! I only wish i'd seen more Mexican classics. Apart from those you mention, i understand El Compadre Mendoza, Pueblerina, Canoa, Principio y Fin, Maria Candelaria, The Wave, and La Ley de Herodes are highly rated, and i'd be interested in what you think of any of them or the following (which i've seen): El Angel Exterminador, Like Water for Chocolate/Como Agua para Chocolate, Que Viva Mexico, El Topo, Santa Sangre, Cronos, El Mariachi, Deep Crimson, Simon of the Desert. I'm looking forward to The Crime of Father Amaro, and Perfume de Violetas.
john-5

Postby eldalieva » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:43 am

-la ley de herodes is good movie specially because of the criticism that it stablishes on the (very, very) corrupt political sistem in mexico.

-like water to chocolate: i didnt liked it so much, i was very dissapointed when i saw it, i think its too romantic for me (i think movies need to have a great plot argument if one of the themes in the movies is love, even if it appears on little dosis

-i think el marichi was a bad experiment of a mexican indie
(if theres a god of indies this movie would be the one, the producer actualy had to sell blood to gain money for making the film)

-angel exterminador: i havent saw it (feel guilty about it) , and i will be able to sleep until i see it

-father amaro wasnt on my nerves in the premiere so i havent saw it, dont like the plot very much (and if you heard that was a great impact in mexico, it was but only because the stupidity of the archbishop of something here in the country
eldalieva

Postby tijbc78 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:57 am

I'm very proud to sees that there is somebody who's watching mexican films and talk about them,but our industry (if you can call industry something so unstable like the one that make mexican films) is so diverse that would take a whole site to talk about it; in the meantime you can add to your list:Las Abandonadas (1934);Una Familia de Tantas(1948);Aventurera(1949);Dona Barbara (1944);En la Palma de tu Mano (1949);El Bruto (1952,Luis Bunuel);Rosa Blanca (1961 banned)La Formula Secreta(1965)Mecanica Nacional (1971);El Castillo de la Pureza (1972);Un Lugar sin Limites (1977);Canoa (1977);Frida(yes the original one,1983);Rojo Amanecer(1988);Los Passos de Ana(1988);Principio y Fin (1993);El callejon de los Milagros(1993);Embrujo(2000)
tijbc78

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:06 am

i like amores perros and that's it. I watched only a total of three films-- along with that one, the other two are "y tu mama tambien" and "el crimen del padre amaro." It's not that i have a thing for gael garcia bernal, but those are the only flicks they have here. They started with Y tu mama tambien...It's just a surprise to me that there are good films like this from mexico, because those mexican soap operas they keep churning out are atrocious! I thought even their films are like that, fortunately I'm mistaken. =o)
smurfrevolt

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:10 pm

What about the ones with Vincente Fernandez? *snicker*
thegreatken1

Return to Lists and Recommendations