the grosest films ever

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: the grosest films ever

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu May 15, 2003 4:41 am

Actually I didn't really think The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover wasn't that sick. The opening scene with the feces is, but it's a great movie for one reason: Sacha Vierny (greatest photographer ever) as DP. Anyways, Salo takes the cake. Though I'd also add Gaspar Noe's Irreversible & his earlier I Stand Alone.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby genjuro_xx » Mon May 26, 2003 9:09 pm

"Akira" had too much gore in it. But I haven't seen "Salo" yet.
genjuro_xx

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:38 pm

If you're talking gross special effects, my vote is for John Carpenter's The Thing...there's a scene where a tongue comes out of the mouth of a severed head, wraps itself around a table leg to pull itself away from a flamethrower, flips rightside up, sprouts 8 spider legs and antennae and skitters away...really disgusting even after several viewings.
dianem

Postby Gaz » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:15 pm

I wouldn't have called Leolo gross. Uninspired maybe...

I think Salo is one of those films I am never going to have the guts to watch. Seeing stills from the film is more than enough, unless someone would like to convince me it's worth it despite the sado-masochism.
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:03 am

Salo is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as it may look. I am saying this as someone who is fairly conservative. But be warned. Certain images and scenes (probably the ones you know about) will never leave you and will always be in your head. There were definitely times during it when I had to keep reminding myself that this is all fake and it's just a movie...but if what you're afraid of is the pure visual sickness of it, I could probably name tons of other movies that out-gross it. It is definitely the most disturbing & haunting film ever, but I think you should see it if A) you're a die-hard Pasolini fan or B) see something that you won't forget (and come on...sometimes it's kinda fun to be disturbed a little bit).
bigpoppa_2059

Postby mezincescue » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:42 am

SALO is the winner here.
As for "the cook, the theif etc..." - it was a wise film.
But lately it was "The piano teacher" - for it's total
pretentiouse emptyness, even if it tried to be very
"cinema verite".
mezincescue

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:36 am

What do you mean gross? Literally--I guess, Nagisa Oshima's "In the realm of the senses." i couldn't even finish it, it was so gross and I guess Peter Greenaway's "The Pillow book" is also a bit much. I couldn't finish "The City of Lost Children" either.
smurfrevolt

Postby nina* » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:51 am

Lot's of grose Finnish films,mostly involving body fluids..
like "Seitsemän veljestä" (7 brothers) by Jouko Turkka.
KIDS.
nina*

Postby Gaz » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:32 pm

I wouldn't have called Kids gross - I suppose it depends on one's definition of the word. Kids is gritty, voyeuristic, depressing, but gross?
Gaz

Postby nina* » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:56 pm

and what would be the definition of the world according to someone who calls Kids gross?
nina*

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations