asian newave...

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

asian newave...

Postby nana » Sun Jan 07, 2001 11:21 pm

hello---
i would like to put something together on the asian newave directors/films. does anyone
have any comment or/and familiar with asian newave films. also...what do yall think of the term
"newave" in this context?
though i'm a huge wkw fan myself, i hope i get more than wkw blah blah blah...

nana

Re: asian newave...

Postby arrowpublicity » Mon Jan 15, 2001 8:06 pm

I am not familiar with the phrase, Asian "new wave"..Can you enlighten me?

I am a publicist for an independent film company and we have a film coming out called Restless. This film was shot entirely in Beijing. It opens in NY on 1/26 and throughout the country a week later..

Speak to you soon!

Neil
arrowpublicity

Postby nana » Wed Jan 17, 2001 2:04 am

neil---

i was just using the term loosely refering to the likes of hou hsaio hsien, edward yang, wong kar-wai, stanley kwan etc...mostly from china/taiwan/hong kong/south korea.
yes, i think they have been here for awhile, but they are still quite unknown if you're not into asian films. it is hard to get access to these films if one's not locate in a
relatively large city.
---nana
nana

Postby heatherfrank » Wed Jan 24, 2001 12:31 am

I'm a big JLG & Truffaut (French New Wave in general) freak & for the same reasons, WKW....The New Wave, Asian & French, seems to resonate with me in the same way. I see it as an avant-garde style that strays from traditional narrative techniques to instead, an emotionally detached collage that examines (over-the-top usage of symbolism) the abstraction of modern society & culture, and in particular of social alienation and sexual love.
heatherfrank

Postby nana » Wed Jan 24, 2001 7:35 am

heather---

yes!...i think your thoughts and feelings on the french new wave is very similar to my experience. i took a film appreciation class when i was 19. acourse i did not like many of the "great classic" at the time(probably because i didn't identify with any theme/character, more over i dozed off to many "great" films(2001, citizen kane, etc...)
...then one night, he showed a little french film with a kid named doinel. i moved myself in front of the room almost directly in front of the t.v.
...that was the beginning of my life long romance with
jlg, truffaut, ozu, visconti, fellini, wkw, cassavettes & hundreds of others. it's almost to the point of insanity.
i love real life too, but i just wish i can find some one
like greta garbo, maggie cheung, leslie cheung or a binoche character and fall madly in love!! until then...i'll pop in
Atalante, L' once in awhile.
nana

Postby heatherfrank » Thu Jan 25, 2001 9:12 pm

Ooh...do you speak of the character Antoine Doinel played by Jean-Pierre Leaud? Would love to meet someone like J-P Leaud or Tony Leung myself. These could be considered equivalents to your female versions!

Speaking of WKW's style, particularly that of "Chungking Express" & "Fallen Angels" I love what this person says about his style -- "...frenetic one-way ride through The Land of Vaporous Plot, with stops along the way at Irritatingly Cute Extended Metaphor City...Freudian analysis as told to Hello Kitty...." Hee!
heatherfrank

Postby katsuben » Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:59 pm

nana - what exactly are you trying to put together? vis a vis the term: isn't it a wee bit general to group all of south-east asia into one lump and select a period for a "new wave"? would you include the fifth generation chinese filmmakers in the same category? i think for any interesting discourse in this subject it would be necessary to separate the individual films. and since enough has been said of WKW and HSH how about some reflections on Tsai Ming-Liang or Tran Anh Hung? or like you suggest, Edward Yang. although if you like i'd be happy to lyricise on 'Good Men, Good Women' or 'Goodbye South, Goodbye' pretty much endlessly. . . :)
katsuben

Postby nana » Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:56 am

funkyduck---

what i'm trying to put together is a little something that would introduce asian cinema to my average college film goer. i'm not doing an academic "discourse" on anything.
you should be gracious that you have access to these great films. there are people that don't know who wkw is, believe it or not...don't be to snobbish. beside, i pretty much just enjoy the films...i don't really try to dissect it or have "discourse" over it though i do like to discuss films from time to time, but i much rather feel it.
---nana
nana

Postby Hectate » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:53 am

Like all 'CREATIVE MOVEMENTS', the wave will loose it's superiority and imperious momentum as it reaches the shore--and will eventually ebb and die out.

But while it last--I love WANG KAR-WAI, and other Korean Filmmakers--Lee Chang-Doo, and other ones I forget. I love Mahid Mahidi, as well, even though his style is classical and panoramically gorgeous. Krzysztof Kieslowski is great as well, if he had had not got in that plane--he would still be alive, and creating some sort of movement, I assure you of that.

Hectate

Postby acquarello » Fri Feb 02, 2001 12:59 pm

I'm lost on the Kieslowski reference - he was Polish, worked on his later films in France, and died of a heart attack.

Funky Duck raises a good point on the definition of "Asian New Wave". Geographically, Asia covers the all the independent countries of the former Soviet Union, Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey, Myanmar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia etc., and certainly, they all weren't influenced by the same creative catalyst.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Next

Return to Film Talk