greatest films ever?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: greatest films ever?

Postby john-5 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:13 pm

Gaz, well lets say i'm more likely to come to like The Producers (i've tried 3 times, am no nearer doing so) than vote Tory.

Somegreatmovies; good to see The Band Wagon in your list. It really is a magnificent musical. I'm not a big Anderson fan either, though at least If made some interesting satirical observations on the British "public" (i.e private!) school system- its main role seemingly to prepare, or beat into submission, model pillars of the imperialist establishment.
john-5

Postby Gaz » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:57 pm

I hated The Producers first time I saw it (typical self-righteous adolescent; I think it was the anti-German sentiment which offended me). It's the film about which my opinion has changed most. I'm not a great Mel Brooks fan, but there's something I can't help loving about that film. And nobody can deny it's quotable: "I'm wearing a cardboard belt!"

As for Lindsay Anderson, I don't _think_ he's an exclusively British phenomenon. I'm sure there are as many US lovers of his work than UK (but the population difference makes it so).

O Lucky Man is a bit of a problem film - I think it's probably a masterpiece but then it could be mediocre. Like Tarkovsky's Mirror, it's a film which rewards (or at least bears) repeated viewing.

If.... is essentially about revolution and is probably best appreciated by the repressed, British youths it depicts so accurately. I'm a bit stuck for things to say about it really, as I haven't seen it for a while. After seeing it I could talk about it for hours. What one person sees as dull and televisual another sees as gritty and realistic.

I won't try to convert people to Lindsay Anderson, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to class him as one of the greatest directors.
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:22 am

Alphabetical order, because for any film buff to list in order of fav films is like picking your favorite child. Favorite and "greatest" are indeed different My fav foreign flicks:

L'Avventura (Antonioni)
Jules and Jim (Truffaut)
Contempt (Godard)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer)
Pickpocket & A Man Escaped (Bresson)
The Third Man (Reed) - It's British
Amelie (Jeunet)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki) - Greatest animated film ever
Rashomon (Kurosawa)
Persona (Bergman)
bigpoppa_2059

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:10 pm

Well the greatest is obviously Citizen Kane. The rest of my top ten would be unfortunately dominated by American movies though.
1. Kane
2. The Godfather
3. All Quiet on the Western Front
4. 2001
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. Star Wars
7. 8 1/2
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Apocalypse Now
10. Singin in the Rain
wpqx

Postby dbfilmmaker » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:21 pm

The Sound of Music
The Godfather
A Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now
Singin' in the Rain
Barry Lyndon
E.T. - the Extra-terrestrial
GoodFellas
Citizen Kane
dbfilmmaker

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:07 pm

8-1/2 - Fellini
Dr. Strangelove - Kubrick
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Tony Richardson
Circle of Deceit (Die Falschung) - Volker Schloendorff
Battleship Potemkin - Eisenstein
2001 A Space Odyssey - Kubrick
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Spielberg
Sunset Boulevard - Billy Wilder
Day for Night - Truffaut
M - Fritz Lang
Nosferatu - Murnau (Herzog's was pretty good too)
The Thing from Another World - Nyby/Hawks (great b/w 50s cold war sci fi)
dianem

Postby Gaz » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:10 pm

It's great to see The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner mentioned. Other great films of the working-class, kitchen-sink genre are Karel Reisz's "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" and "This Sporting Life" by Reisz's protege Lindsay Anderson, a director I seem never to tire of mentioning.
Gaz

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:07 pm

Laurence Harvey was great in this sporting life. And don't forget Darling and A Taste of Honey....great period in Brit filmmaking. And a little earlier, Two-Way Stretch and The Ladykillers, Waltz of the Toreadors...any early Peter Sellers flick.
dianem

Postby Gaz » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:25 pm

I didn't think Laurence Harvey was in This Sporting Life, though he was in Darling and the groundbreaking Room at the Top. Richard Harris and the incredible Rachel Roberts were the two big stars of This Sporting Life.

As for early Peter Sellers films, I think it's wonderful to see him acting before he became such a huge bankable star. The ensemble acting in The Ladykillers with Katie Johnson, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom, Danny Green, Sellers and of course Alec Guinness is a true delight to watch.
Gaz

Postby HenryGinsberg » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:12 am

The Godfather + The Godfather Part II(Coppola)
Seven Samurai(Kurosawa)
Citizen Kane(Welles)
Jules et Jim(Truffaut)
8 1/2(Fellini)
Battleship Potmkin(Eisenstein)
Apocalypse Now(Coppola)
Blade Runner(Scott)
Schindler's List(Spielberg)
Star Wars trilogy(Lucas, Kershner, Maquand)
HenryGinsberg

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations