top ten directors

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: top ten directors

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:05 am

Anyone who has seen satyajit ray's films knows he is a master,i have a few in my collection taped off tv years ago cheers

Postby groom_daniel » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:36 am

auteur, I watched Deconstructing Harry last night, where Allen parodies his approach to filmmaking; the constant self-examination, the neuroses, and the use of his personal life as material for his films. It was interesting that he presented himself as a writer, which may say a lot about the discussion we've been having, but then again, he already explored the directing process in Stardust Memories. It was also interesting to see him "lift" large parts of Wild Strawberries, although stylistically it reminded me a lot of Fellini. That in itself may have been reflexive, since there was so much self-referencing in the film. Deconstructing Harry was okay, and had moments which were brilliantly written, but twenty years on from his truly great films, he seems to be treading the same kind of ground without any further insight. It almost felt like a confession that he's been unable to resolve the feelings that fueled those films. Whereas Annie Hall leaves you feeling like there's some kind of hope, his more recent films are often bitter or dissatisfied. On the whole, Deconstructing Harry was more enjoyable than say something like Husbands and Wives, but the latter film felt like an advancement on the themes in Woody Allen films, at least the ones that deal with personal relationships. Perhaps he's had one romantic failure too many, I think the next Woody Allen film I watch will be something like Everybody Says I Love you, because his more "concept" orientated films have a broader appeal to me in his latter work.

That WASP comment was funny, and very true, as is the comment about "his" Manhattan, although after watching Deconstructing Harry, I'm sure it has nothing to do with any kind of racial politics. One of the best things about Deconstructing Harry was his self-critique of his attitude towards Judaism. He seems upfront about his prejudices. I don't think there's a Woody Allen hang-up that's been left unturned, and judging by his recent output, his creativity could use a few new neuroses.

While the criticism of just whose Manhattan he was portraying is valid, I also think you could say the same about any number of directors, for instance, Ozu's view of the Japanese family dynamic is not every Japanese person (or director's) view. It came from Ozu's imagination and his observations, and that change in the relationship between parent and child (and family dynamic) wasn't something that he lived through, at least not directly. The great thing about cinema is that a singular view such as Ozu's is usually offset by the reactions of an Oshima or a Shohei Imamura, and I'm sure there are films in American cinema that offer a counter view of Manhattan that resonate with you.

Postby auteur » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:46 am

I agree with your assessment of DECONSTRUCTING HARRY. I'd also say that his highly selective view of the city "has nothing to do with any kind of racial politics". One thing I learned from watching WILD MAN BLUES is that Allen is quite uncomfortable in unfamiliar situations. He does not like to meet new people. He travels to great cities like Paris and Madrid with his jazz band and stays inside his hotel room. Airport, hotel, concert hall, that's it. His sharp young wife serves as an intermediary between him and the world. Maybe this "treading the same kind of ground" is a reflection of his life experience. His limitations are mostly psychological, for his anxiety is real.
But every artist's reflection of a time and place passes through highly subjective filters and Allen is entitled to his, particularly since he is not hiding them. Your point about Ozu's Japan is relevant. Know what? I don't think the Allen visits his native Brooklyn anymore. I don't think he's ever been north of Columbia U. to tell you the truth. That's ok; I've enjoyed getting acquainted with his little world anyway.
Is ZELIG the first mockumentary?
Is OEDIPUS WRECKS (His contribution to "NY Stories") the only one where Allen ends up with a Jewish girl?
Will return after a brief vacation.

Postby Macheath » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:50 pm

Wouldn't the first mockumentary (Allen's, at least) be Take The Money And Run?

Postby briandarr » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:25 pm

"Take the Money And Run" resembles a mockumentary in form, but it's certainly not aa rigorous as "Zelig" or "This is Spinal Tap". Those films took great pains to look, sound and feel exactly like documentaries. They try to avoid showing scenes that would be unlikely elements of a real documentary. Unlike "Take the Money and Run" which mocks its form by showing scene after scene where it's impossible to justify the presence of a camera crew.

I read somewhere that Fellini made a mockumentary in the 1960s, which has been cited by some as the first mockumentary. Of course the second sequence in "Citizen Kane" is a rather rigorous (not to mention hilarious to anyone who might recognize all the stock footage from the RKO Vault) mockumentary itself. And then there's Bunuel's 1932 "Land Without Bread", though I hesitate to call it a full-on mockumentary since it serves as a documentary as well, even if much of it is exaggerated and/or staged.

Postby felipejuanfroilan » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:17 pm

CHAPLIN, Charles
LANG, Fritz
COPPOLA, Francis Ford
DE SICA, Vittorio

In this message boards everybody expresses its opinion for and against certain directors and films. But nobody talks about ROSSELLINI!!! OK, It's good to discuss about Renoir, Dreyer, Bresson, etc. but I'm Spanish, and in Spain Rossellini is really admired among critics, and I'm just not very sure if he is not well considered, or it happens that films aren't known in other countries.

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:11 pm

Yes Rossellini is right up there with the best,his films are always moving, i saw Germany Year Zero a couple of weeks ago on ther big screen,also Voyage In Italy (a fave)Stromboli is underrated.Scorsese is a huge fan (naturally) as i am.
Roberto deserves high praise!

Postby trierfan » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:03 pm

1. Lars Von Trier
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. Pedro Almodovar
4. Krzysztof Kieslowski
5. Federico Fellini
6. Martin Scorsese
7. Jean-Pierre Jeunet
8. Roman Polanski
9. Milos Forman
10. Ridley Scott

Postby cwilliams415 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:12 am

Top ten directors in no particular order:
Jacques Tati
Preston Sturges
Ingmar Bergman
Federico Fellini
Stanley Kubrick
John Huston
Akira Kurosawa
Vittorio De Sica
Alfred Hitchcock
Charlie Chaplin

Postby gony_72 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:17 am

Jesus H. Christ, this really is hard to pin down to 10. I mean it might be easier to go continent by continent than just cold-blooded top 10. This time, ;) I won't cheat and WILL stop at 10. Here goes, in no particular order.

1. Charles Chaplin
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Billy Wilder
4. John Ford
5. Frank Capra
6. Akira Kurosawa
7. Ingmar Bergman
8. Federico Fellini
9. Werner Herzog
10. Zhang Yimou

I've divided evenly between English and foreign language directors, so no one can accuse me of not having a diverse coalition.....and I also lied, here are the runners up:
(De Sica, Truffaut,Lang, Speilberg, Sturges, Cukor, Hawks,Kubrick, Lean, Polanski, Scorsese,Welles.

Return to Lists and Recommendations