Best Score ?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best Score ?

Postby pre-tender » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:19 am

i think apart from major part ( directory-actint-plot...etc) there r 2 things which makes a film "masterpiece" : Score and Cinematography
and here is my topic: What are your favourite scores ?
here is my list:
The Piano
Pulp Fiction
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Return
Lord of The Rings

Re: Best Score ?

Postby Gaz » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:14 am

As a music student I am liable to have many opinions on this subject - here are some of them.

I have yet to find a director who can use already-written music as well as Louis Malle, from Charlie Parker in Le Souffle au Coeur to Reinhardt and Grappelli in Lacombe Lucien and Schubert's second Moment Musical in Au Revoir Les Enfants.

Bergman's use of Schumann's Piano Quintet in Fanny and Alexander is very effective.

Visconti's Death in Venice is the supreme example of classical music and film coming together in symbiosis.

As for original scores, ET is excellent (John Williams' best; his recent efforts are disappointing - the Harry Potter scores suggest very little musical training whatsoever).

I like Krzysztof Komeda's scores for Polanski's Knife in the Water and The Fearless Vampire Killers very much - very atmospheric.

Aimee Mann's soundtrack for Magnolia is outstanding and, unlike many, I thought the scene where the cast sings along to one of the songs really worked.

The score by Maurice Jaubert for Vigo's Zero de Conduite is wonderful.

Colin Tully's music for Gregory's Girl is stunning. likewise Alan Price's songs in O Lucky Man (used as a Brechtian device, as if anyone is interested).

I could go on for literally ages and ages and ages. My admiration for some people knows no bounds. I will undoubtedly think of more, which will find their way onto this post sooner or later.

Postby pre-tender » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:13 pm

i have just seen Rosemary's Baby and i should add my list the score of this good film. however score is not used so much during the film it will be enough to hear it at the beginning and end part of this Polanski film to admire Chritopher Komeda.
Note For Gaz: Yes i recommend it to u, i m sure u will like it, Rosemary's Baby tells u why Polanski is considered as virtuoso of thriller genre, it is a bit like The Game, The Birds ( almost there is no scroe and till the end you can not solve it )

Postby HenryGinsberg » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:19 pm

The Godfather is my favourite film score. I also love scores by John Williams and Elmer Bernstein.

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:47 pm

Betty Blue,Sexy Stuff
The Girl on the Bridge-Hate to say it but Marianne Faithful`s Track is amazing even though she can`t sing that well,mind you she always says that anyway.

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:14 pm

On The Buses -Oh It`s Lot`s of Fun on the Buses
Confessionas of a Window Cleaner-This is your Life Timmy Lee
The Clangers go to Hollywood-Woop woop woop woop
McVicar-Free Me By Saddam Hussein,Whoops spelt it wrong,Roger Daltrey
The Meaning of Life-Isn`t it awfully nice to have a Wenis (Russian Version )

Postby Gaz » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:30 pm

Confessions of a Pop Performer is much better than Window Cleaner. Score by Three's A Crowd if I remember rightly - "Timmy, Timmy gimme some of your lovin' - sweet, sweet lovin'." This should have been on my earlier list.

Postby john-5 » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:40 pm

Without any bias whatsoever, i can state categorically that the finest film score was premiered last night at Brecon Film Society, Wales (for which i happen to be publicist). Special musical accompaniment composed and performed by Paul Shallcross, a perfect match to Buster Keaton's silent masterpiece The General.

A magnificent silent score that comes to mind is Henri Rabaud's to the little known, marvellous The Chess Player (Bernard, 1927).

Ennio Morricone (Once upon a Time in America/ The West...)and Bernard Herrmann (Vertigo, North by Northwest, Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver...) are the 2 top names, for me.

Postby MoonlightWanderer » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:03 pm

Hmmm... your original list sems to just be any film with a good bit of music playing in the background. But, does it fit the movie? Sme of your suggestions didn't. Here, I have one movie to add, that I can't beleive no one's mentioned:
O Brother Where Art Thou?

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:41 pm

Great score - Tangerine Dream in Herzog's Nosferatu.

Return to Lists and Recommendations