Best Cinematography ?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best Cinematography ?

Postby pre-tender » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:24 am

Sequel to previous topic, what are your favourite cinematograpies?
here is my list:
Saving Private Ryan--Kamunsky is unique about puting u into the mid of a war
American Beauty--easy sight even in darkest scenes
The Piano
Amelie
A Clockwork Orange--Kubrick ( no more to say )
pre-tender

Re: Best Cinematography ?

Postby Gaz » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:16 am

I reckon anything by Nic Roeg
Death in Venice
If....
Aguirre, Wrath of God
Gaz

Postby tastlikeburning » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:01 pm

Okay, I know The Rules of Attraction was one of the worst movies ever but the cinematography was AMAZING! That split screen shot that became one, GENIUS.
tastlikeburning

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu May 15, 2003 5:02 am

I kinda liked Rules...come on, that scene where they show Paul traveling across Europe in fast foward with him narrating over it was genius. As for the ones who influenced me the most, I'd say Magnificent Ambersons (Stanley Cortez), Last Year at Marienbad (Sacha Vierny), Conformist & Last Tango in Paris (Vittorio Storaro), Godfather (Gordon Willis), and of course Amelie.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby wpqx » Sun May 18, 2003 2:41 am

There have been some remarkable films in this department recently, particularly Traffic and Requiem for a Dream, as well as every David Lynch film. As for the all time great, Greg Toland on everything, particularly Kane. Also a big fan of Sven Nykvist and Gordon Willis.
wpqx

Postby Gaz » Sun May 18, 2003 10:01 am

If we're talking about great cinematographers Nykvist is an obvious choice, but Henri Decae deserves a mention.
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue May 20, 2003 12:53 am

Forgot about Henri Decae. He shot Beauty and the Beast (the original Cocteau masterpiece) and Wings of Desire, which is still Wenders' best film.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby Gaz » Tue May 20, 2003 9:14 am

And Les 400 Coups - the opening shots of Paris and the closing freeze-frame are now part of cinema history.
Gaz

Postby john-5 » Thu May 29, 2003 7:56 pm

Isn't Decae getting confused with Henri Alekan for Beauty and the Beast and Wings of Desire?

Anyway, the greatest cinematographers are;

Kazuo Miyagawa- Sansho the Bailiff, Ugetsu Monogatari, Chikamatsu, Miss Oyu (all for Mizoguchi), Rashomon, Kagemusha, Yojimbo (Kurosawa), Enjo (Ichkawa), Floating Weeds (Ozu)

and

Vittorio Storaro- The Spider's Stratagem, The Conformist, Last Tango in Paris, Apocalypse Now, The Last Emperor, The Sheltering Sky

Also;

Robbie Muller- Paris Texas, Alice in the Cities, Kings of the Road, Dead Man, Breaking the Waves

Georgos Arvanitis- for Angelopoulos

Robert Burks- Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, The Birds, Marnie

Jack Cardiff- for Powell, Pressburger

Raoul Coutard- A Bout de Souffle, Shoot the Pianist, Lola, Vivre sa Vie, Pierrot le Fou

Edouard Tissé- Strike, Battleship Potemkin, Alexander Nevsky, Ivan the Terrible 1&2

Gregg Toland, Nestor Almendros, Chris Doyle, Roger Deakins, William Daniels, Rudolf Maté, Sven Nykvist, Gordon, Willis, Freddie Francis, Freddie Young..
john-5

Postby tijbc78 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:06 am

Did anyone have seen Gabriel Figueroa's work?. I think He's one of the best in the world ,you can admire his work in many mexican movies (mostly the best of mexican cinema)and a couple hollywood movies (He worked for Jonh Ford in the "Fugitive",Luis Bunuel's Los Olvidados;)He was part of the el EQUIPO (a group included Dolores del Rio,Pedro Armendariz,Emilio Fernandez and Mauricio Magdaleno)and made the best mexican films ever. Watch his work and you'll think twice what can you call best Cinematography!!
tijbc78

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations