You guys

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

You guys

Postby mr_black667 » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:26 pm

Why is everyone making top 5/10/100 lists? Whats the point? What sort of movie you like is very subjective, wich was made very clear when one of you included "freddy got fingered" in your top ten list. And how can you compare the different genres? Seems that also a bunch of you like some very peculiar directors and movies just to appear as experts or something. Is it not better to discuss the contents of a movie or try to interpret it?
mr_black667

Re: You guys

Postby jpmccusa » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:01 pm

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you. I have learned of many gems that were previously unknown to me be referring to such lists, and am grateful that others have taken the trouble to bring these to other people's attention. I imagine that this view is shared by others---we'll see what happens here.
jpmccusa

Postby Gaz » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:15 pm

It strikes me that this message board is about discussing things. All posts are intended to give food for thought and provoke reactions from people.

I would also disagree that some frequenters of this site deliberately choose to like odd films to appear superior. Just because somebody has a different taste in films from one's own doesn't mean their opinions are inferior. I think most of us understand this.

Films give us pleasure and so does this site - that's what it all boils down to.

"There's room for everyone in this world, if everyone makes some room." That comes from the masterpiece that is Pete's Dragon.
Gaz

Postby pre-tender » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:28 pm

Like jpmuse i got my opportunity to see masterpieces of cinema means of this 5/10/100 list, but yep u r right we may also discuss films,genres,directors...so on.
pre-tender

Postby mr_black667 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:38 pm

I'm not saying that every person who admires an "unknown" director tries to come off superior, but it seems like some does. I refer to those who try to describe a movie with the most difficult words and technical terms they can come up with, e.g. bjornam. We are normal people, not movie critics. Because this is a message board where not only those in the business, but also just plain movie lovers write, maybe trying to keep it on a level that is understandable to the common man would be a good idea. And also, there are many here who does not have english as their mother tounge, like myself.
My point about the list is that they don't say anything about the movie, they just show us what someones favourite movie is. Unless it's a well known movie, most people can't relate to it.
mr_black667

Postby Gaz » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:44 pm

Point taken about us being "normal" people - whatever that is - but like normal people we are all different and have differing experience of films. We are also affected by films in different ways.

My point was that ForeignFilms.com is for everyone, no matter what they want to use it for.

Except spam.
Gaz

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:25 am

and i hate it that someone has to tell me in my personal email that i misspelled a word, or some of my punctuation marks are misplaced. somebody named patrik or somebody. everyone makes typing mistakes.
smurfrevolt

Postby Gaz » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:15 pm

Almost evreyone.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:44 pm

I think the point is we all love film & the only thing better than turning someone on to a great film or director,is to be turned on by someone else it is an educational process which is what it is all about,but i don't know about "unknown directors" i make it my business to know as many as i can,but i always was a serious bastard ..cheers
gratefultiger

Postby somegreatmovies » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:09 am

I’ve never really written anything lengthy on this forum, but I feel it’s better that I hear about Andrew Noren and Ken Jacobs and Charles Burnett for the first time then for someone to list “Seventh Seal” for the thousandth time on this site... the only reason for me to butt into a conversation is to go “Hey! What about this guy?” ...if you’re intrigued go look it up (I know that’s the only reason I know about Oscar Micheaux or Larry Gottheiem)... there’s far more I need to know about this art form, so please! don’t tell me again about Almodovar, but tell me that there is this guy named Victor Erice making pictures in Spain too…
somegreatmovies

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations