Chinese films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Chinese films

Postby shaylahilt » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:43 pm

I have loved all the Chinese films I have seen - Raise the Red Lantern, Judou, To Live (all the same director I think), but was hoping to learn about others that I might enjoy. Please share the ones you have loved.

Re: Chinese films

Postby kcpuden1 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:55 pm

Off the top of my head: Blue Kite and The King of Masks, you may like, I found both excellent. If I think of more, I'll try to drop another line.

Postby kcpuden1 » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:10 pm

I thought of another one, Bride of the Wooden Pole, highly recommend this one.

Postby john-5 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:11 pm

My favourite Chinese films;

Red Sorghum, Raise the Red Lantern (both directed by Zhang Yimou), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee), Two Stage Sisters (Xie Jin), Suzhou River (Lou Ye), Chungking Express (Wong Kar-Wai), Life on a String (Chen Kaige).

Postby Lex Luthor » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:24 pm

if you liked Zhang Yimou's movies mentioned above, you can also try watching Chen Kaige's movies. Kaige and Yimou are part of the famous 5th generation Chinese directors. try checking out Farewell My Concubine which i think is his best film. other works include Emperor and the Assassin (quite good) and Temptress Moon (ok)...
Lex Luthor

Postby leaczi » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:06 pm

Shanghai Triad, also with Gong Li, excellent

Postby aviv71 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:19 pm

A couple I like that haven't been mentioned are Eat Drink Man Woman and Happy Times.

Postby iceomat » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:56 pm

Also enjoyed Yimou's Not One Less.

Postby groom_daniel » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:44 pm

I strongly recommend Tian Zhuangzhuang's The Blue Kite, if you liked Zhang Yimou's To Live, it's not as evocative, but it's one of the most beautifully shot films I've ever seen. Branching out from the mainland a bit, the other film I'd recommend is Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer's Day, which is 230 mins long, but worth it.

Postby auteur » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:12 am

A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY is the only film I own in the inferior vcd format. I was unable to find it on dvd. I DREAM of watching theatre screenings of Edward Yang's masterpiece and Bela Tarr's SATANTANGO. Is BRIGHTER out on dvd in the UK?

Return to Lists and Recommendations