Chinese films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Chinese films

Postby jacobf » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:27 pm

Ditto earlier recommendations on Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaige. Also check out Taiwanese directors like Ang Lee (pre-Hollywood) and Edward Yang who create similar poignancy through meaningful stories and excellent characters. I personally feel Yang's Yi Yi (A One and a Two) and Lee's Yin Shi Nan Nu (Eat Drink Man Woman) may be two of the best movies I've ever seen in any language. We own both on DVD and have watched them each 5 or 6 times with increased appreciation and fondness each viewing. Lee's Tui Shou (Pushing Hands) and Xi Yan (Wedding Banquet) are also excellent picks.
jacobf

Postby smurfrevolt » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:46 am

is wedding banquet the one about a gay chinese guy in america who has to pretend to be married so as not to marry the girl promised to him, when his traditional parents arrive to check out how he's doing?
smurfrevolt

Postby smurfrevolt » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:48 am

i love wong kar-wai's "in the mood for love." "Temptress moon" is ok as well; it stars 'raise the red lantern's star, gong li, with leslie cheung.
smurfrevolt

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations