Most pessimistic film

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Most pessimistic film

Postby szindbad » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:13 am

"The wind of the night" - P. Garrel
"The beekeeper" - T. Angelopoulos
"From the life of the marionettes" - I. Bergman
"Irréversible" - G. Noé
"No end" - K. Kieœlowski
"Salo" - P. P. Pasolini
"Video blues" - Á. Sopsits
"Three brothers" - T. Villaverde
szindbad

Re: Most pessimistic film

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu May 15, 2003 4:59 am

Good list. Def. agree with Irreversible. I love Noe, but that movie and his earlier I Stand Alone depress the hell out of me. Also, even though they're American you've gotta see Neil LaBute's In the Company of Men & Your Friends and Neighbors. This man is angry and his films are about men and women playing cruel, mean tricks to each other and he has a very pessimisitc view of relationships (he's a Mormon too!)
bigpoppa_2059

Postby wpqx » Sun May 18, 2003 2:51 am

Anything from Mizoguchi, particularly Life of Oharu.
wpqx

Postby pukeypfilm » Sat May 31, 2003 1:59 am

I would add:
Dream Life of Angels
Battle Royale
pukeypfilm

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:07 am

Requiem for a Dream--a really depressing film.
smurfrevolt

Postby donna.lane » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:40 am

I would also add "The Piano Teacher" by Michael Haneke. This was one extremely dark and pessimistic film.
donna.lane

Postby jpmccusa » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:48 am

"Acla"
jpmccusa

Postby cwilliams415 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:11 am

SHOESHINE 1946 BY DE SICA
VERY DARK, A HOPELESS, HURTFUL AND ALL TOGETHER DEPRESSING FILM, BUT ONE OF THE BEST NON-ENGLISH EVER, IN MY HUMBLE VIEW.
cwilliams415

Postby johndav » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:38 am

Mizoguchi depressing? I can't agree with wpqx. His films leave me uplifted and deeply satisfied, however superficially unhappy some of the outcomes may be. Their spiritual strength, beauty, artistic mastery, emotional power and humanism transcend pessimism.

Bergman's Summer with Monika has a needlessly pessimistic ending, as if he equates angst with depth. It is out of keeping with the joyous freedom of most of the film, and seems artificial and almost perverse as a result. I find Tarkovsky a much more optimistic film-maker.

johndav

Postby pathewbach » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:00 pm

I would completely agree with "Requiem for a Dream" by far one of the most depressing films I have ever seen. "Irreversible", although the most horrific film I've seen in a while, was done so well that I wasn't left feeling quite so depressed, although I should have, if you understand.....
pathewbach

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations