Most pessimistic film

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most pessimistic film

Postby spkrauszer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:35 pm

"Persona", maybe...i guess i could have said any bergman (except maybe 'fanny and alexander'), but i remember this one as being pessimistic
spkrauszer

Postby darkthirty » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:15 am

Werckmeister Harmonies - starts out the most generous film possible, ends with mumbling shell of a life.
darkthirty

Postby groom_daniel » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:10 am

Mizoguchi's films are depressing, and no doubt he was a pessimist, but towards the end of his life he became a devout Buddhist. His later films always seem contemplative of the impermanence of life and the unresolvable nature of human tragedy. They're transcendent, because of his spiritual beliefs, but I don't find them uplifting. They're tragedies, and even if you prefer to look at them in human terms, the oppression that he loathed so much is always brought about by flaws in human nature that are unredeemable. Some critics believe that Mizoguchi's films assert a political responsibility in preventing injustices, which may be true, but I think ultimately his films are compassionate to the victims.
groom_daniel

Postby dianem » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:49 pm

Last Exit to Brooklyn by Uli Edel...Jennifer Jason Leigh throughout the movie, but especially her on her back on a filthy mattress with guys lined up....
dianem

Postby mir » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:56 am

Happiness by Todd Solondz. The film is anything but a happy film. Depressing but fascinating.
mir

Postby texan_gal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:47 am

Pasolini's Salo
texan_gal

Postby gregb » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:49 pm

Dreamlife of Angels is sad but not pessimistic - one of the female characters is a very loving person and good friend. A film that believes that there are good people out there does not qualify for pessimism.
gregb

Postby stof_ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:14 pm

I found that Requiem was much more disturbing than depressing. It still sends a shiver up my spine whenever I think about it.
The Bicycle Thief is incredibly sad and depressing. This isn't a criticism, I absolutely love that film, but its quite the opposite of uplifting.
stof_

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations