Hello, I am new

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Hello, I am new

Postby yeahletsmoveon » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:48 am

I'm 19 years old, and I try to watch a lot of foregin movies a day. . .and I really like Kryztof Kielowski (sp?)'s Three colors trilogy (My favorite is Red).

Re: Hello, I am new

Postby oomingakus » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:33 am

Welcome to the site! I also was introduced to Kieslowski through the Three Colors trilogy. My personal favorite is White. If you like Kieslowski, you should check out The Decalogue. I have yet to watch it, but I've heard it is absolutely amazing! It's available on DVD at www.facets.org, as well as other websites. Glad you're here!

Postby Gaz » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:44 am

Welcome - I'm 20 and also a Kieslowski fan. You should check out the Dekalog films, perhaps starting out with the two feature length adaptations (A Short Film About Killing [Dekalog 5] and A Short Film About Love [Dekalog 6]).

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:46 am

Touche as usual Gaz.

Postby smurfrevolt » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:30 am

hey this is great. lots of young people are watching foreign films. I don't know if it's a 'movement' or simply boredom with the usual Hollywood stuff... in my case, both, I guess.

Postby cwilliams415 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:38 pm

I am just a little older than you, 42. I am so glad to see young people with a love for world-cinema. Please take the time to view the many classics that where made long before your birth.

Goodbye for now,

Postby stof_ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:22 pm

welcome yeahletsmoveon
I hope you enjoy our site.
I'm 19, and it definately seems like there are alot of younger people on this site. so perhaps this is a good place to air one of my greivances with this site. Often on the message board, I see valid points being dismissed simply because the person posting it us younger.
"You'll understand it when you're older" isn't enlightened discussion, its arrogance. to everyone out there, if you disagree with someone, by all means do so. But don't dismiss someone on the basis of their age.
thank you.

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:02 pm

The more young foreign film fans here the better. But while it's important for the older users not to use age as an excuse, it's also good for us youths to remember that we don't know it all. Perspective is one thing which can only be gained with age. I'm not saying it's not possible for young people to appreciate masterpieces of cinema, but there is something unquantifiable which is gained as you get older.

I know I sound like an old man, but I'm 20 - really!

Postby wpqx1 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:53 pm

Let's claim another for us young'ins. I too am at the age of 20 and have seen more foreign films than most of my film teachers. I might be a bit obsessed and I never claim to know everything, but I'm getting close. As for films to watch, this site's top 100 isn't a bad place to start, however I may disagree with some of the rankings.

Return to Lists and Recommendations