BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILMS OF 2003

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILMS OF 2003

Postby auteur » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:59 pm

These are my favorite films in a language other than English that I have seen in 2003. Of course, depending on where you live, some of them may have opened in 2002, or not at all.
I. RUSSIAN ARK(Russia) and THE SON(Belgium)
II. ARO TOLBUKHIN(Spain/Mexico/Hungary), HERO(China) and MONDAYS IN THE SUN (Spain)
III.DIVINE INTERVENTION(Palestine/France)and IRREVERSIBLE(France).
IV. MAROONED IN IRAQ(Iran), JAPON(Mexico), BALSEROS(Spain), CHIHWASEON(S.Korea), LAVOURA ARCAICA(Brasil), CITY OF GOD(Brasil), MAN WITHOUT A PAST(Finland), THE VIRGIN OF LUST(Mexico), LES DIABLES(France)

HONORABLE MENTION: Respiro(Ita),Remembering the Turning Gate(S.Kor),A Lucky Day(Arg), Fairy Tales to Put Crocodiles to Sleep(Mex), Eden(Pol), Nowhere in Africa(Ger),Fausto 5.0(Sp)
auteur

Re: BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILMS OF 2003

Postby Gaz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:52 pm

Of the newly-released (in UK) films I have seen so far this year (and possibly late in 2002), my list would look sonething like this:

1. Lilja 4-Ever
2. Etre et avoir; The Man Without a Past
3. Le Fils; Le Souffle; Broken Wings
4. Elling

Nowhere in Africa and The Pianist were two films which failed to fulfil my high expectations, created doubtless by the storm of Oscar-fuelled publicity surrounding them both.
Gaz

Return to Lists and Recommendations