50 films for Xmas

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: 50 films for Xmas

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:53 pm

It's just that some are more equal than others :)

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:50 am

I was going to make exactly the same point!

Postby kjandca » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:53 pm

In some perverse way, "Die Hard" and The Fearless Vampire Killers" might be the perfect films to watch during a season celebrating Peace On Earth...Good Will Towards Men. Heck, it's never stopped Hollywood from unloading its typical Shoot-'Em-Ups and Gore Fests during this special season.

A word about my favorite Christmas movie and my favorite Bad Christmas movie:

"A Christmas Story" is, for me, the ultimate Christmas movie. Although the movie is set in the late '40's-early 50's, which is a little before my time, this movie captures for me the joy of a childhood Holiday Season. Thank God it's finally caome out on a decent "Special Edition" DVD.

I always watch "White Christmas" every year even though i have yet to figure out why. Clearly "Holiday Inn" is a far better film, if for nothing else it has Fres Astaire instead of Danny Kaye. A little bit of Mr. Kaye's schtick goes a long, long way. More often than not its the cinematic equivalent of pitachio ice cream in an open tooth cavity. As for the plot...the idea of former servicemen giving up spending Christmas with their families in order to spend it with their former commanding officer...goes beyond incredulous in the the realm of something like science fiction.

Still, I DO enjoy this movie. For one, the movie looks great. The closing scene of Bing, Danny, Rosemary and Vera-Ellen in Santa Claus suits standing around the big Christmas tree with the winter scene behind them and the children at their feet, all singing "White Christmas" is the very picture of the Holidays. Also, Rosemary Clooney's rendition of "Love, You Haven't Done Right By Me" wearing the black strapless evening dress at the night club is one of the sexyist musical numbers in any Hollywood musical. Grrrrrr!

Postby john-5 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:42 pm

I'm surprised Die Hard is a Xmas favourite. Perhaps i've blotted some of it from my mind, but i don't remember it being full of festive goodwill and Christian "love thy neighbour" spirit.

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:46 pm

Your memory is uncannily accurate, but all the same it's quite funny and it ends with "Let It Snow".

The funniest moments are probably provided by Agent Johnson and Special Agent Johnson, one white, the other black - "No relation". One speaks into his walkie-talkie: "Hello, this is Agent Johnson. No, the other one."

Postby HenryGinsberg » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:19 pm

Among the moments from Die Hard that always make me laugh are,

Supervisor: Attention, whoever you are. This channel is reserved for emergency calls only...
John McClane: No f*cking sh*t, lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?

Hans Gruber: "Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."

and my favourite of all,

Sergeant Al Powell: In fact, I think he's a cop. Maybe not LAPD, but he's definitely a badge.
Dwayne T. Robinson: How do you know that?
Sergeant Al Powell: A hunch, things he said. Like being able to spot a phony ID.
Dwayne T. Robinson: Jesus Christ, Powell, he could be a f*cking bartender for all we know!

Postby kjandca » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:00 am

Just to clear up some boo-boos I made in an earlier post...After writing that last message, I went and put "White Christmas" in the DVD to watch the Rosemary Clooney number. The name of the song she sings in the night club is "Love You Didn't Do Right By Me" and the black evening gown she wears in the number is NOT strapless...but still damn sexy. Her photo on the placard outside the night club, as Der Bingle enters, does show her in a strapless sequined gown. I must try to get these things right.

Also, since this is a board for discussion of FOREIGN films, I will in the future, try to refrain from discussing anythiing coming out of Hollywood unless I give the other readers of this board ample warning first.

Please excuse my spelling as well, I'm just barely competant as a typist.

Getting back to Christmas movies, I can't really think of any foreign Holiday films other than the two "A Christmas Carol"'s that came out of England in (I think) 1937 with Reginald Owen and 1952 with Alistair Sim (my personal favorite..which I'd love to find on DVD).

Postby ustink » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:55 pm

what about Scrooged?

Return to Lists and Recommendations