Most important films for you

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Most important films for you

Postby Mik » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:59 am

We discussed best films, favourite films... But what about the most important films? Please say what films impressed you most of all? What films changed your attitude to the cinema? What films changed world cinema (as you think)?
This is my list (no particular order):
"Battleship Potemkin" (Eisenstein)
"Un Chien Andalou" (Luis Bunuel)
"8 1/2" (Fellini)
"Andrey Rublev" (Tarkovsky)
"The Color of Pomegranates" (Parajanov)
Mik

Re: Most important films for you

Postby HenryGinsberg » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:29 pm

I think that among the films, foreign or otherwise, that have been most important in the development of cinema are The Birth Of A Nation, Battleship Potemkin, Citizen Kane, The Bicycle Theif, Breathless, The 400 Blows, Stagecoach, A Fistfull of Dollars, Rashomon.

Films that have had the most important effect on me personaly are The Godfather, Seven Samurai, Jurassic Park, Jules et Jim, The Apartment, The Lion King and Jean de Florette.
HenryGinsberg

Postby felipejuanfroilan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:17 pm

Cries and Whispers - Ingmar Bergman
Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood
Maybe they are not my really favourite ones, but with those films I've began to clarify my ideas about cinema. And maybe that's because I had seen many more films before. You can enjoy more or less with one film, and it sometimes depends on you mood, but anyway you always learn things with every film, about cinema and about life.
felipejuanfroilan

Postby john-5 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:06 am

At 4 i saw Fantasia at the cinema, and the dinosuar and devil sections made a big impression. As a 12 year old The Great Escape was the greatest escapism. At 14 El Cid was majestic, surpassed the next year by North by Northwest. At 15 i was also stunned by a scintillating Xmas season of Fred Astaire films. Some Like it Hot, Casablanca, Singin in the Rain, Lawrence of Arabia were soon favourites too. At 21 as part of a French course i studied French Cinema of the 30's, and was introduced to the wonderful range and quality of Jean Renoir (Boudu, La Regle du Jeu, Partie de Campagne, La Grande Illusion in particular).

My foreign film viewing really took off as an obsession in the late 80's after getting John Kobal's book of 100 Top Movies, many of which i'd never heard of, but set out on a quest to see. Since then, 2001 (stupendous experience), Paris Texas, Alice in the Cities, Seven Samurai, Andrei Rublev, The Green Ray, Sansho the Bailiff, Abraham Valley, Maborosi (in approximate viewing sequence) have made me awestruck and/or lovesick, among others.

Greatest? Sansho the Bailiff, Andrei Rublev, 2001, La Regle du Jeu, Sunrise, Citizen Kane, Mirror, Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story...
john-5

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:30 am

In no particular order:
Dersu Uzala
Shane
The Cranes are Flying
Stalag 17
Elmer Gantry
400 Blows
La Terra Trema
patsfan86

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:04 pm

John -5 looks like you where spoiled rotten with that french cinema of the 30's course,wish icould have been at it!what a great opening to top of the range foreign cinema.
La regle du jeu,Sayat Nova,Mirror i rate highest but anything by Dreyer,Bresson, Ozu,& the usual masters suffices .
I also love Once upon a Time in The West/The Wild Bunch
Psycho/Wake in Fright (my Fave Aussie film)Third Man/Dr Strangelove/Duck Soup....The Human Condition is my latest great film experience over 9 hours of classic japanese cinema. cheers
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:29 am

Like Gratefultiger said...Bresson & Dreyer more than any other directors completely changed the way I watched/appreciated cinema, but life as well, which I think only the greatest films can do. For me, "Mouchette" & "Ordet" are the two most important films for me and really the only true essential ones.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:30 am

Oh...and Regle De Jeu of course.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby john-5 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:27 pm

Gratefultiger; the cinema special subject was easily the best thing on my course (apart from 1 1/2 years in France itself). While others were reading up on notes and critics' opinions to revise on the films, i watched Boudu again just before the exam- to the surprise of others who thought this must be too little too late. The best thing i could have done. I've had a soft spot for it ever since.

The other glories of the course were L'Atalante and the wonderful Pagnol films, like the Marius trilogy and La Fille du Puisatier, with Raimu.

Compare such treasures with most of the relentless effects-led violent dross today.
john-5

Postby groom_daniel » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:24 pm

Tokyo Story gave me a far greater love for the cinema than I ever had before, and the films that really impress me are the ones that have that lightness of touch -- An Autumn Tale, The Green Ray, Duck Soup, Tampopo, Annie Hall, The Eel, Nights of Cabiria, Boudu Saved from Drowning, Eat Drink Man Woman -- to me, films like these are a joy to watch and masterful in their sentiment. When it comes to films that have changed cinema, I think it has a lot to do with editing techniques, from Griffith and the Soviets filmmakers, Fritz Lang and Hitchcock's early sound work, through to films like Citizen Kane, Rashomon and the French New Wave, and then the current music video style of editing.
groom_daniel

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations