how to start a film society?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

how to start a film society?

Postby nana » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:40 pm

any knowledge of how to start a film society, how/where to get/borrow foreign classic films etc...
i live in a relatively small town in southeastern usa.
---nana
nana

Re: how to start a film society?

Postby acquarello » Sat Feb 03, 2001 8:55 pm

Have you tried renting from Facets.org? They have several membership tiers which include rentals. Their collection is quite impressive.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby nana » Sun Feb 04, 2001 5:29 am

thanks, though i'm really interested in getting film rather than video. i think the impact of watching say rocco and his brothers on big screen is much different than on a 20"
t.v. is there a way to project from a video or dvd player?
i was in boston a couple years back and i think they(public library) showed masculine feminin in 16mm(i think) on to the wall. it was great!! well...i guess i'll have to stick to my tv and videos for now.
---nana
nana

Postby nana » Sun Feb 04, 2001 5:42 am

acquarello---

your site is pretty amazing.
i'll learn dreamweaver and mess
with photoshop more often.
did i mention your site is awesome?
...design as well as content.
quite impressed,
---nana
nana

Postby nitin jagdish » Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:41 pm

hey acquarello,
i checked out your website, and loved it.
how much did i love it?
it was already on my list of website favorites.

which means ---
1. it's a small world, even on the internet
2. my level of observation is about that of a slug
nitin jagdish

Postby aguirre » Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:05 pm

Hey nana, does your town have an arts council? They might be interested in sponsoring a fledgling film society. Having an arts council on your side might help when it comes to approaching a local theater to let you show a film once and awhile Also, I can imagine renting theatrical prints might be expensive, so having an arts council and a theater behind you could really help. As for videos, I've heard of ceiling-mounted VCR/DVD projectors, but have no idea as to what they cost.

I live in a small southern town myself, and I have been interested in starting a film society. However, you probably know as well as I do that the biggest obstacle in starting up a film society in a small town is public interesst. Good luck wih any plans you have!
aguirre

Postby aguirre » Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:08 pm

Pardon my spelling by the way...Can't we go back and edit our posts?
aguirre

Postby acquarello » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:38 pm

Another place to start is the local library, especially if they have the equipment (16mm or 35mm projector) or a screening room. Places like Kino, New Yorker Video, and World Artists all have rental services. Kino's published rates are from $100 to $1000 (for more popular/recent titles). New Yorker Video actually has Kiarostami's "The Wind Will Carry Us" and Hodges' "Croupier" available for rental, but I'm sure the price is steep for those.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby katsuben » Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:51 am

well i'm very lucky in that i can hire 16mm films for approx. US$12. if you can find a decent provider, then all you'll need is a projector, some reasonable speakers, a white wall, and a few minutes practice threading and looping. so the biggest problem is getting the films and getting them at a price that you can afford because chances are the audience is a) going to be small and b) not going to pay more than a few dollars to see what you've got to show. i have no idea how the american archival system works so i can only wish you luck. (by the way, my society is based at a university and i am given a grant to screen films. the process would be the same independently except i wouldn't get the money! :-/)
katsuben

Return to Film Talk