The Academy Awards are a sham

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

The Academy Awards are a sham

Postby BEK » Sat Aug 19, 2000 2:08 am

Why does it take an "Academy Award" to validate filmmakers these days? Why do we place our complete faith in the Academy's nominations and decisions? If neo-Nazi's ran the country and tried to dictate our moral and artistic choices, we'd be in an uproar. Why then do we let old racist White Males decide what is beautiful and what is worthy of our approval? Does anyone else not believe the hype?

Email me if you do. Let's take steps to educate people about real filmmaking, and leave Hollywood in Never Never Land (Los Angeles). Certainly that's where Spielberg feels most comfortable (Hook, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park); all his films take place there.
BEK

Re: The Academy Awards are a sham

Postby daveman » Tue Sep 26, 2000 1:27 am

In your description of American filmmakers, you forgot homophobic, anti female and violence loving. The drivel put out by the vast majority of American filmmakers is just plain awful. Any film that contains one or more of the $ 20 million dollar American stars, any film that takes more than a few million dollars to make, any film that contains gunfire, explosions, or vast amounts of real or digital special effects is usually dreck.
daveman

Postby solent » Sat Oct 07, 2000 2:37 am

Ignore them and they will definitely go away. Create your own universe. STEP 1: Throw away your radio. STEP 2: Do not, under any circumstances, watch commercial TV. Advertising is a modern form of cancer.
solent

Postby BEK » Sat Oct 07, 2000 5:19 am

I don't think the Academy Awards will ever go away, and ignoring them certainly won't do it. Slobodan Milosevic wouldn't walk away if his country just ignored his tyrrany. It took the largest uprising that region has seen in 55 years to overthrow his reign. Hollywood has had a stranglehold on (bad) moviemaking for nearly 100 years! Imagine what kind of revolution is needed to overthrow Speilberg, Valenti, and Lucas! Or maybe... just maybe... overthrowing Hollywood is dumb goal. Maybe it's better to be true to yourself, to know the truth of your own existence, and to avoid falsehoods both in life and in the business deals of Hollywood. And it's all a business out there, so my advice is to avoid it all. **BEK**
BEK

Postby somegreatmovies » Sun Dec 31, 2000 2:01 am

what in the hell is the matter with Spielberg... he's one of the good ones. I can arguments made against Sch. List, but Amistad, Lost World, Saving Private Ryan, Color Purple, Sugarland Express are all great films. There will always be mediocre crap in every type of filmmaking, be it Hollywood-Oscar-Winners (American Beauty- utter BS), foreign titles (Horsemen on the Roof- dreadful), or indies (Brothers McMullen- excruiating). Get over it.
somegreatmovies

Postby somegreatmovies » Sun Dec 31, 2000 4:56 pm

I meant to put "understand" between "can" & "arguments." Ooops
somegreatmovies

Postby BEK » Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:18 am

Does anyone doubt my original message anymore? Just look at the utter NONSENSE that was nominated for every Academy award this week.

Gladiator??? Uhm, Braveheart was the same movie, and done slightly better.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Brain??? Uhm, Ang Lee directs lousy melodramas and this is no different, despite its flying and jumping BS.

Erin Brockovich??? Uhm, Soderbergh is about as much of an auteur as the Pope is an aetheist. And Julia Roberts is about as much of an actress as Harvey Weinstein is thin.

C'mon PEOPLE..... discuss! =)

Peace,
BEK
BEK

Postby somegreatmovies » Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:34 am

you want to discuss... how about you start?... a collection of (hardly) witty statements insulting the Oscars does not a discussion make. But just to reply: you want great filmmaking and your looking at the Oscars. Does this not seem the least bit silly? And by the way, Erin Brokovich is one of the very best films of the year (featuring the most watchable Julia Roberts performance of all time. Ya' know, she's not that bad an actor). The biggest Oscar burr up my ass: Best Cinematography. They really need to reform this category, and only allow cinematographers to pick the nominiees. Except for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (I think you missed the point, the "flying and jumping BS" was the movie... or, at least, the main reason to see it) & O Brother, Where Art Thou? the nominees made no sense (I can't think of an uglier film in years than Gladitor). Anyway, just to throw out my opinion (I love sharing it any chance I get), here are my picks for what should have been nominated and won: Picture: Yi-Yi / Actor: Wu Nien-jen for Yi-Yi / Actress: Samantha Morton for Jesus' Son (close behind: Bjork for Dancer in the Dark) / Director: Christopher Guest for Best in Show (go ahead, call me crazy) / Suporting Actor: David Morse for Dancer in the Dark (close behind: Robert Downy, Jr. for Black and White) / Suporting Actress: Elaine May for Small Time Crooks (Woody Allen's worst film, except for Stardust Memories) (close behind: Edie Falco for Judy Berlin) / Cinematography: Agnes Godard for Beau Travail (close behind: Ricardo Aronovich for Time Regained) / Editing: Mission to Mars
somegreatmovies

Postby somegreatmovies » Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:36 am

Sorry, I was typing fast, and didn't spell check... it's horriblle (I meant to mispell that)
somegreatmovies

Postby somegreatmovies » Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:25 am

Sorry... I just looked back at what I wrote and realized I was a bit harsh... Sorry, about that... this is not a forum for bickering, I was just reacting to what I thought was quick, shallow views on some of those films. SORRY, again.
somegreatmovies

Next

Return to Questions