The Academy Awards are a sham

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Re: The Academy Awards are a sham

Postby Wildlyfer » Wed Apr 25, 2001 7:12 pm

Heeeeeeeeeey. I liked Gladiator. LOL......geeze......it's only movies, guys.....well.......lala land.
Wildlyfer

Postby katsuben » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:55 am

Doesn't the phrase "it's only a movie' devalue cinema to the point of absurdity. How far can this inclination be taken? Cinema is phenonema, craft, art, and "agile" (Bresson). Life is good because there is art (a doctor may save a life but an artist makes life worth living). Comments about the relative value of movies should perhaps be paralleled with similar comments about life. This might make explicit the obvious anguish that such statements imply. "Don't worry, it's only life."
katsuben

Postby cinemasmooch » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:02 pm

Yes funkyduck, the word "only" is way overused in many areas of life...devaluing the subject...such as, "it's only an animal" = "it's alright to be cruel to animals." Etc., etc., etc.
cinemasmooch

Postby maxdname-1 » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:29 pm

If I might be so bold as to "piss in the punchbowl," the inequity of the Academy Awards can be summed up in one word - "Rocky" - best picture. Want more proof - "Chariots of Fire" ladies and gentlemen I rest my case
maxdname-1

Postby Wildlyfer » Thu Apr 26, 2001 7:05 pm

Okay Okay so it's not "only a movie" but geeze guys, we all know how movies change, improve, inspire us in so many ways. Not gonna get into a defense mode here but chill some, man.
Wildlyfer

Postby maya » Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:17 pm

Funkyduck are you for real? I don't mean to be nosy or offensive but do you have a life outside film and art?
maya

Postby katsuben » Sat Apr 28, 2001 11:02 pm

maya, of course. but the abstraction of this medium precludes the explicit evidence of such a fact. empirical life (experience) is obviously of far more importance to my individual self than any movie, set of films, or ideas generated from films. but i do take case against the devaluation of cinema. just because cinema has been the art form of choice for the middle class since the 1930s doesn't mean there aren't certain filmmakers producing subtle, revealing, abstract, transcendental works. and because of these people, for these people, cinema must be validated. constantly. otherwise, they might disappear.
katsuben

Postby maya » Sun Apr 29, 2001 6:47 pm

funkyduck, you are right. I couldn't agree more. Just sometimes you sound so egotistical and arrogant that it's hard to tell where your coming from. I think I understand your passion for film and art.
maya

Postby somegreatmovies » Sun Apr 29, 2001 10:31 pm

Anybody live in the NY area? If so, are you going to the Image Innovators series at the Walter Reade Theater? I live in SC, but was lucky enough to catch the last part of the series (I had a college interview on the same day) and will be up there again for a presentation of some films by Robert Beavers. Anyone been going? Any thoughts? I thought the last one (with the digital works) was hugely disapointing (my spellings sucks, I know). Except for J. Leighton Pierce's Back Steps (pure beauty!) the night was a waste.
somegreatmovies

Postby katsuben » Tue May 01, 2001 2:33 am

maya, i guess i'm coming from a passionate subject position and passion is often, perhaps needlessly, difficult to perceive. i don't think i'm arrogant, i just try to advocate films and filmmakers that are not often discussed. i find it far more important to create a great deal of noise about the barely known than to add to the abundance of hype surrounding certain other films. now i'm going to go watch TIME REGAINED (Ruiz). later.
katsuben

PreviousNext

Return to Questions