Pola X

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Pola X

Postby firetree65 » Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:37 am

acquarello, the use of colors in mise-en-scene in Red Desert (red pipes, blue bed frame in the blue room, etc.)came out well in the DVD transfer. I was referring to the exposure on some shots. They give me the impression that some continuing scenes were shot at different times of the day and it is most apparent in Chapter 13 in the DVD. Did these exposures signify kaleidoscopic symbolic states of hysteria or was it a technical fault that was overlooked? One scene, where Giuliana was lying peacefully on her bed was a long shot in an overwhelming reddish hue. Why is that?
firetree65

Postby acquarello » Tue Feb 27, 2001 12:27 pm

Well, I've checked out the scene in question, and came up with a similar conclusion. On the one hand, the color is definitely intended to be kaleidoscopic, since Giuliana even says something to the effect of "I hate the factories, the colors, the people...". On the other hand, there is a stark variation in brightness, not just on the unfiltered shots, but also within the same hues. The varying shades of amber were also particularly noticeable. The fact that she had to look out of the window at night (to see the man in the street) also supports the idea that they shot the scenes out of sequence, most likely during daylight hours, to work around the nighttime window shot.

So I tend to agree that the color saturation is relevant, although the variation in light seems to be a continuity problem.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby firetree65 » Wed Feb 28, 2001 2:45 am

Thanks for taking the time in checking this out. Your insight enlightened me more about the film and transfer. Also, do you have Godard's "Breathless" DVD Region 2? If so, how was the transfer? I also do have a region free DVD player and I'm tempted to pre-order "8 1/2". The rumor of the Region 1 version has been going on for over a year and there's still no definitive news on its release.
firetree65

Postby acquarello » Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:57 am

Yes, I do have Godard's "A Bout de Souffle" on Region 2 DVD. The original print and transfer are very good to excellent, with only a few specks and scratches. The presentation is 1.33, and I'm not sure if this is OAR, but that's the only way I've seen the film. There is also a Godard short entitled "Charlotte Et Son Jules" included as an extra, along with trailers. It's definitely worth picking up.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby firetree65 » Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:42 pm

thanks. can't wait to watch that short by Godard.
firetree65

Previous

Return to Film Talk