Reccomend Me Some Good Mexican Films

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Reccomend Me Some Good Mexican Films

Postby AleDanSal » Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:41 am

I know that Sexo Pudor y Lagrimas, Amores Perros, Like Water for Chocalate, are very good movies. What other Mexican Movies are good.(mainly from 1990's till now, no ones prior to this date, unless its really, really good). Thanks.
AleDanSal

Re: Reccomend Me Some Good Mexican Films

Postby Pasayo » Sat May 12, 2001 7:32 pm

I have two Mexican films from 1995 for you to enjoy: Midaq Alley (El Callejon de los Milagros) and Anonymous Love Letter (Sin Remitente). The first should be easy to find since it is Salma Hayek's feature film debut. The second may be more difficult, but if you find it, you'll enjoy it.
Pasayo

Postby katsuben » Sun May 13, 2001 1:43 am

Ok, LOS OLVIDADOS (1950) because it is.
katsuben

Postby ishdish2 » Mon May 14, 2001 10:47 pm

Cilantro y Perejil
ishdish2

Postby repulsion2000 » Thu May 17, 2001 12:38 pm

As much of a fan I might be of Bunuel's films, I do love his Mexican films the most. He is by far my favorite director and his "El" is argueably his greatest achievement (although few have seen it). Bunuel's unparlleled understanding the male id and ego is outstanding to behold, especially within an unbridled Mexican landscape. If anyone wants to read an article I wrote on Bunuel, you can find it here:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/features/bunuel.html

Also, here is a link to my review of "El":

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/archive/el.html
repulsion2000

Postby jecakehayias » Thu Jun 14, 2001 2:33 am

I really enjoyed a documentary that was done of the life of a cuban girl "Quien Diablos es Yuliet". It was a great proyect that took about 5 years and the girl is so full of life and great energy that is contagious. (Even a Nobel Prize of Literature, Gabriel Garcia Marquez assisted them with the way they should tell this story).
I also enjoyed "Like Water for Chocolate", "Amores Perros", "La ley de Herodes", "Sexo Pudor y Lagrimas", "Cronica de un Desayuno" even "Santitos" which was a nice comedy (cute... not the movie of the year but fun and with all the color and tradition that I like from Mexicans).
jecakehayias

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:12 pm

Like Water For Chocolate is Wonderful Tasty and Romantic
HASSELBAINK007

Postby storeroad » Tue Oct 23, 2001 11:58 pm

See if you can find LA OTRA CONQUISTA (The Other Conquest) - set in the 1500's - pretty wild.
storeroad

Postby ppelphrey » Sun Dec 02, 2001 10:09 am

Danzón is very good, about a woman whose dance partner suddenly disappears, and she goes looking for him.
ppelphrey

Postby jason-3 » Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:29 am

See Los Olvidados, by Luis Bunuel.
jason-3

Return to Questions