challenge to initiate discussion/evaluation

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: challenge to initiate discussion/evaluation

Postby acquarello » Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:52 pm

I checked a few places and it doesn't look as though "Amagi Pass" was ever released on home video in the US, UK or Hong Kong (so that it would have English subtitles).

Also, I highly recommend Sokurov's "Mother and Son" if you're a Tarkovsky fan. It is available on DVD with an excellent transfer. Sokurov's works are nearly impossible to see (I caught two of of his films at last year's NY Festival of Russian Films), so this DVD is a real gem.

By the way, I have been actively collecting films for about 20 years - I may have a tiny house and an unassuming car, but, hey, I have a lot of cool films in my library! ;)

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby nana » Sat Feb 17, 2001 5:35 pm

oshima is neither from hong kong nor chinese. i didn't know what you meant by "on the hong kong dvd side..."
also i do not own a dvd player, but have seen a couple and both had a director commentary version of the film. is this a standard? standard in asian dvds also?
firetree65, it is great that you have found asian cinema...hope you enjoy it!!

i watched afterlife recently. the premise is amazing and the first 3/4 of it is quite good...but i think toward the end, he didn't quite pin down what he wanted. it was loosely, sorta drowned out edited into semi-chaos. i'll watch it again, but any comments on that? is it just me?
---nana
nana

Postby acquarello » Sat Feb 17, 2001 10:25 pm

nana, just to clarify: Hong Kong DVDs are non-coded DVDs manufactured in Hong Kong. The reason that I specify them separately is that you will can only find them in a store that specializes in Hong Kong DVDs - they wouldn't be available in a local Blockbuster or online at Amazon, for example.

DVDs are coded differently according to regions. The US is Region 1, UK is Region 2, etc. , and you can't play a DVD outside your region unless you have a region free player. But a Hong Kong DVD will play in any region because they are non coded.

By the way, in addition to Oshima being Japanese, Anh Dung Tran is also Vietnamese/French.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby acquarello » Sat Feb 17, 2001 11:52 pm

Regarding "After Life", I was greatly intrigued by Kore-Eda's synthesis of the documentary with the traditional narrative. As I stated earlier, Kore-Eda is one of the filmmakers who started out as a documentarian. Like Kiarostami's films, especially the Earthquake Trilogy ("Where is my Friend's Home?", "And Life Goes on...", and "Through the Olive Trees") and "Close Up", the interview process often reveals more of what is not said, than what is. On the "After Life" DVD, there is a transcript of Kore-Eda's own personal experience about a family member with Alzheimer's, and his idea on the film was to examine the "relativity" of memory. For me, "After Life" was intensely reminscent of Alain Resnais films on haunted memory and altered perception, but with a sparer, more accessible approach. By the way, Kore-Eda is another contender in this category, since he made three documentaries prior to his first feature, "Maborosi".

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby firetree65 » Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:03 am

acquarello, thanks for checking. I remember watching the film in a film festival in Manila in the 80's. I'm also looking for the winning film "19 Chowingrhee Lane", an entry from India which I missed to watch. Not sure of the spelling. Also, I checked your website - awesome is all I can say! I loved your reviews especially the films of Bergman and Tarkovsky. I was just wondering how come Costa-Gavras doesn't seem to be popular in this website. Hardly are his name or works mentioned. I believe his works are landmarks in film making and though his political views are no longer popular in this age, his films deserve some mention in film discussions. I remember in the 70's and 80's when film talks never missed him.
firetree65

Postby acquarello » Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:22 am

Regarding "36 Chowringhee Lane", it doesn't look as though that film has been released on home video either, although it does occassionally appear on European TV.

As for Costa-Gavras, he and Andrzej Wajda certainly rank among the finest politically-themed directors out there (although I would place Wajda higher). Unfortunately, "Mad City" was poorly executed, but "Z", "Music Box", and "Missing" are all intelligently conceived and highly engrossing.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby firetree65 » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:52 pm

bunny. I'm always glad to be of help. In my own experience, my film judgment has changed a lot through watching films recommended by friends. Like I said, every film is a learning experience if we have a willing and open mind towards it. It also helps to read cinema history through film books and learn how film evolved through the years. Ciao.
firetree65

Postby firetree65 » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:59 pm

acquarello, thanks for the info. I knew I was not sure of 19 :-))). I guess you're right about Costa-Gavras. I guess I was more inclined to mention Pontecorvo whose "Battle for Algiers" is a definitive film landmark. Do you have the following films in your library? "Angi Vera", "Yol", "Lies My Father Told Me" by Jan Kadar, "The Firemen's Ball" by Milos Forman, Polanski's "Cul-de-Sac", Bertolucci's "Luna". Thanks.
firetree65

Postby acquarello » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:50 pm

I only have a few from the list: "The Firemen's Ball" (Forman) on VHS and "Yol" (Goren) and "Cul-de-sac" (Polanski) on PAL VHS. Unfortunately, I haven't seen "Angi Vera", "Lies My Father Told Me", or "Luna" -- I have "Luna Park" though, does that count? ;-) I checked Blackstar.co.uk, and "Angi Vera" is available on PAL VHS - is it worth picking up? The site description is rather scant.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby firetree65 » Sat Feb 24, 2001 6:05 pm

acquarello. "Angie Vera" was one of those films that were bravely released from the then Eastern Bloc nations like Hungary. Despite its political milieu, it also succeeded artistically and it should be worth a spot in one's library. "Amagi Pass" was shown in a Montreal film festival in the 80's and won some acting (? not sure) awards. I thought the cinematography was impressive. "Lies My Father Told Me" by Jan Kadar is a childhood memoir shot in a Jewish ghetto in Canada. Very lyrical and unsentimental. I checked the British video site and found out that Fellini's 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita will be released on DVD soon. I also found out that their DVD version of "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" is in widescreen. The US DVD version is standard so are other great films being released by New Yorker Video.
firetree65

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk