Slovak films

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Slovak films

Postby Ockien » Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:47 am

Anybody know of any cause czech films are good and was wondering if Slovakia had some good ones too?
Ockien

Re: Slovak films

Postby john-5 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:47 am

For info. on Slovakian films (and many other countries),The Variety International Film Guide,which comes out annually,covering the year's films in a wide range of (often neglected)countries, is useful.Edited by Peter Cowie.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:28 am

From the little i know of Slovakian cinema,some of the better films in recent years include:The Garden,All I Like,Orbis Pictus,Little Country(all by the most significant contemporary Slovak director,Martin Sulik),also,Paper Heads(Dir:Hanek- a documentary),Angel of Mercy(Luther)and King of Falcons(Vorlicek).2 prominent directors of the Czechoslovakian New Wave,Kadar(The Shop on the High Street,Oscar winner)and Jakubisko(The Deserter and the Nomads)were Slovakian.
The B.F.I.Companion to Eastern European and Russian Cinema has only slight coverage of Slovakia,but is certainly worth getting.
Otherwise,try the Internet Movie Database,browsing by country.
john-5

Postby Ockien » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:22 am

Thank you, I live in Canada and we do get czech films here in cinema as well as on video, but it is difficult to track down the rarer fare and was wondering if anybody had any good canadian contacts in locating and tracking down great cinema.
Ockien

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:36 am

I've a soft spot for Canada,had a lovely holiday at Toronto and Niagara(1'm from Wales,so the skyscrapers and overall experience were more of an adventure),found the people extremely friendly.I'd have loved to see more of the country,the Canadian West.What are your favourite Canadian films?
john-5

Postby Ockien » Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:06 pm

I live on the west coast, but have been to the majestic north The Yukon simply gorgeous and have also been to Winnepeg and Gimli Manitoba if you know where that is my gran dad lives there, have still yet to go the furthest east. Ok my favorie canadian films are-and I'm really getting into it lately- Cube which I just saw, The Sweet Hereafter, I also saw Exotica but I prefer the former, I've also seen Naked Lunch and The Dead Zone although you may not consider those canadian but they were done by DAvid Cronenberg who is of course from here, also Last Night is quite good and I am going to see Double Happiness. But before since I live in Victoria I would like to know if I can order rarer world films from anywhere around here say from Vancouver if possible.
Ockien

Postby Ockien » Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:09 pm

Oh and when I went to the book store I saw the Variety guide you were talking about, except it's just a little over my budget, instead I'm going to get a book on canadian film.
Ockien

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:49 am

Your mention of Gimli brought to mind Tales from the Gimli hospital by Guy Maddin-i've not seen it,but i understand he's an unusual director.Do you know his stuff?I've an excellent book,The Wallflower Guide to contemporary North American Directors.It's a pity films from Quebec aren't accessible here- i understand Le Vieux Pays ou Rimbaud est mort,by LeFebvre is very good,also Mon Oncle Antoine.I find both Cronenberg and Egoyan interesting directors,but their films tend to inspire mixed responses in me.Dead Ringers is widely thought Cronenberg's best,i'm not quite sure whether i agree.I enjoyed The Adjuster and Exotica.I'm ambivalent about The Sweet Hereafter,though it was clearly an extremely intelligent and atmospheric film(perhaps i wasn't in the right mood for it at the time).
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:53 am

i forgot to say,i understand your reluctance to buy the Variety Guide.I was fortunate to get various editions in a second hand bookshop.I live near "The Second-hand book capital of the world",Hay-on-Wye.Anyway,we seem to have got sidetracked from Slovakian films!
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:02 pm

Ockien,i've spent a bit too much time on this website this weekend (of being stuck in),than is good for the sanity probably,so i think i'll desist for a while.Enjoyed the exchanges,though and please feel welcome to email me if you wish,on jc.davies2@ukonline.co.uk
john-5

Return to Questions