Name of WWII Italian War Film?

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Name of WWII Italian War Film?

Postby thedeadtalkback » Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:24 pm

I am searching for the name of a film I saw late one night on TBS about 9 years ago. It was about an Italian soldier who was serving during WW2 who gets transferred to the Russian Front. At the end of the movie, he is trying to find his way back to the 'friendly lines' after being abandoned by the German soldiers who are retreating. It was a very good movie which showed how the Italians were treated by their German allies. I was under the impression that it was called something to do with a rose ('the black rose', 'the white rose', 'blood on the rose'...?). I have been searching for this film's name for quite a while and TBS does not respond to my e-mails for info.. I'm almost to the point of looking thru old TV Guides from the early 1990's! Can anyone shed some light on this?
thedeadtalkback

Re: Name of WWII Italian War Film?

Postby cinemasmooch » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:35 pm

Try www.rottentomatoes.com - they know just about everything about movies.
cinemasmooch

Postby nvrennvren » Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:49 am

you are not good at searching , i'm sure
nvrennvren

Postby thedeadtalkback » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:19 pm

Actually, considering I possess two Masters' degrees (plus a 'California PhD'), I assume that I am quite good at conducting research. But for some reason, I have spent hours at a time searching for leads all over the web, the Univ. of New Orleans library, and various book stores trying to get a hold of the title of this film...... hey, it's not like I'm not trying.......
thedeadtalkback

Postby surak2 » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:50 am

There is a movie called "The White Rose" directed by the great Michael Verhoeven, maybe that is the one you are looking for. I know it was released in this country on video by MGM, I think. The German title was Weiße Rose, Die and it was made in 1982. Check www.imdb.com for a description.
surak2

Postby thedeadtalkback » Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:11 pm

Thanks for the input, but the film I'm looking for was probably made between 1946 and the mid 1960's, and is black and white. I've checked all of the 'white roses' on the site you've suggested without success. The quest goes on........(I normally would have given up by now, but the film in question is actually very good for a war movie). Thanks again.
thedeadtalkback

Return to Questions