Name of a French film

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Name of a French film

Postby derox61 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:52 am

The film was set in the 50's or 60's about a grifter that a wealthy man befriends. The grifter murders the man on his own boat and throws him overboard. The local gendarme does not believe the grifter is for real (the wealthy man was a recluse), and he persues the grifter until he is satisfied the man is who he says he is...until the end of the film of course. I even remember a scene where the grifter has gotten a copy of the wealthy man's signature, has it blown up so that he may perfect his forgery. I saw this film as a pre teen many moons ago, and I never forgot it! I would really appreciate it if anybody could tell me the title. Thanks!
derox61

Re: Name of a French film

Postby john-5 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:29 pm

Sounds quite similar to Plein Soleil (1959, aka Purple Noon, directed by Rene Clement, and starring Alain Delon; based on the book- and remade as- The Talented Mr Ripley). But i may be sailing in completely the wrong direction, as i didn't manage to watch either much beyond half way!
john-5

Postby nvrennvren » Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:07 am

directed by Rene clement . starring Alain Delon.
it's pretty simple.
nvrennvren

Postby derox61 » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:02 am

Thanks for the info, will check out the film..I did for get to mention that at the end of the film the grifter takes the gendarme out on "his" boat right before he puts in dry dock. As the boat is being pulled out of the water, you hear the grifter screaming because when he killed the wealthy man and threw him overboard, he forgot to cut the rope, so, there is the dead man's body. If that is the way it ends, it is indeed the movie. Thanks again!
derox61

Return to Questions