Music Teacher movies

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Music Teacher movies

Postby mbrand » Sun Feb 25, 2001 2:38 am

For a research project, I am trying to locate films (world-wide) about a music teacher or
featuring meaning scenes of music teaching. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
mbrand

Re: Music Teacher movies

Postby acquarello » Sun Feb 25, 2001 3:17 pm

In Krzysztof Kieslowski's "The Double Life of Veronique", Veronique is a French music teacher, although it is presented in the film as a side story to having given up singing, which was her Polish doppelganger, Veronika's, occupation.

In the US, Meryl Streep starred in Wes Craven's "Music of the Heart" about Harlem music teacher, Roberta Guaspari.

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby katsuben » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:15 pm

Richard Dreyfuss in 'Mr Holland's Opus'. There's a Belgian film called 'The Music Teacher' directed by Gerard Corbiau. I'm sure there are music teaching scenes in 'Au Revoir les Enfants' (Irene Jacob is a piano teacher) and Jan Sverak's 'The Elementary School' but this other one may only be a brief display by the egocentric teacher. 'Un Couer en Hiver' doesn't exactly have a teaching scene but it does explore the idea of mentor and student somewhat. They're all I can think of off at the moment.
katsuben

Postby firetree65 » Mon Feb 26, 2001 2:14 am

Try "Babette's Feast". There's this French tenor who's smitten by the village's preacher's daughter and offers to give her free voice lessons. The teaching scenes though are not academic and shows more how mentor gradually falls head over hills on the talented lass.
firetree65

Postby cinemasmooch » Mon Feb 26, 2001 8:26 pm

I saw a TV movie (Hallmark Hall of Fame?) called "The Piano Lesson" afew years ago that was excellent. It wasn't about music teaching though, but a story of a black family and the generations before them who owned this piano. And carved into this upright were the likenesses of all the relatives going back to the slave days.
cinemasmooch

Postby mukhos17 » Tue Feb 27, 2001 5:44 am

i can think of two other films which had music lesson scenes. one is john schlesinger's madame sousatzka (1988)- the film highlights on the relationship between a music teacher (shirley maclaine) and her brilliant 15 year old, indian born pupil manek sen (navin chowdhury). The other film is satyajit ray's home and the world - where in his passionate drive to instill western culture in his wife (bimala), nikhilesh arranges for a music teacher. the scene is remarkably poignant in context of the film.
mukhos17

Return to Film Talk