Queen kills children to spite her King husband

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Queen kills children to spite her King husband

Postby cakerney » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:12 pm

The movie I am thinking of is somewhat new. Takes place on the English moors or in the Netherlands. I believe the movie is Danish. I remember the Queen killing her children to spite her husband. The movie was really great, but it was dark as well. In one scene, I remember the kingdom being located in some caves only lighted by torches. I only saw part of the movie last year on either IFC or the Sundance channel in the wee hours of the morning. HELP.
cakerney

Re: Queen kills children to spite her King husband

Postby wvq » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:29 pm

I suspect that this is Lars von Trier's version of Medea--you guessed it: it's called "Medea"--which I believe occasionally airs on IFC. And yes, von Trier is Danish, although I'm not sure where the film was shot or his the funding came from, so it may well be that the film itself isn't really Danish. I think it was shot on video--either that or he did one of his patented film-to-video-to-film transfers--and that would explain the graininess and washed-out colors.

As we all know, this was von Trier's "adaptation" of a screenplay by his fellow Dane, Carl Dreyer. So while I'm on this topic, let me say this: von Trier, you're a hack. Stop sullying the memory of Dreyer. You're unworthy of your self-appointed post as his successor. And while I'm on this topic, I find you personally repellent as well.
wvq

Re: Queen kills children to spite her King husband

Postby Gaz » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:56 pm

Does that mean you're not a fan of von Trier then?
Gaz

Return to Questions