Iranian films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Iranian films

Postby Chickp1017 » Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:01 am

Hi everyone, I just found this site and realized, to my great surprise and delight, that I'm not entirely alone in my love for foreign films. (I live in Las Vegas. Need I say more?) Anyway, I recently stumbled onto some amazing films from Iran, namely, A TASTE OF CHERRY, THE WHITE BALLOON, and CHILDREN OF HEAVEN. Wonderful gems, all of them! Beautifully directed, truly sublime works of art. Any other recommendations? Thanks.
Chickp1017

Re: Iranian films

Postby acquarello » Wed Feb 28, 2001 12:11 pm

If you look under "Questions", there was a topic a while back on "Middle Eastern Films", where Iranian films were largely recommended.

Here's the thread:
http://www.foreignfilms.com/topic.asp?topic_id=156&forum_id=8

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby itwasashark » Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:00 am

I liked Children of Heaven. I have yet to see A Time For Drunken Horses and am looking forward to The Day I Became a Woman.
itwasashark

Postby shoehorn » Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:58 pm

Some of my Iranian favorites:

Where is My Friend's Home
And Life Goes On
Through the Olive Trees
Close Up
The Circle
Color of Paradise
Time for Drunken Horses

(I haven't yet seen "The Wind Will Carry Us" but it will be out in Vancouver this summer so I'm sure that one will be on my list).
shoehorn

Postby xorzist » Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:55 pm

"The Wind Will Carry Us" - saw that in theatre about half a year ago.. very beautifully-shot, slow-paced movie.. sort of reminded me of tarkovsky's pace, but a lot "warmer" and "human", so to speak.. quite interesting... not entirely my plate, but i did enjoy it a lot...
xorzist

Postby xorzist » Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:58 pm

gonna see "the circle" by Jafar Panahi in august when it comes to the theatre here, and then gonna see "Smell of Camphor, Fragrance of Jasmine" next week by Bahman Farmanara. any opinins on both? still trying to find the "best of" list to get more acquainted with iranian cinema.
xorzist

Postby john-5 » Sun Dec 30, 2001 4:49 pm

recent Iranian Cinema certainly puts many other countries (Britain certainly)to shame.Try also;Close-Up, Gabbeh,The Apple, Blackbords,Where is my Friend's House?,Bashu the Little Stranger,Kandahar, A Moment of Innocence,Prince Ehtejab, The Runner, Still Life,The Cow,The Circle,Through the Olive Trees,Nargess, The Cyclist, The Wind will Carry us,Tall Shadows of the Wind, A Simple Event...These may be the best since 1968, most are much more recent.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Dec 30, 2001 4:51 pm

oh ,and i forgot The Colour of Paradise.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:45 pm

i've not seen Smell of Camphor, fragrance of Jasmine, but i understand it's excellent, one of Farmanara's very best.Under the Skin of the City has also been highly praised. I also forgot to mention Kiarostami's And Life Goes On.I too would like to know other opinions of Iranian films, whether i've seen them or not.
john-5

Return to Film Talk