Gay Actors,Directors ?

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Gay Actors,Directors ?

Postby pre-tender » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:32 am

hey folks i just want to learn the names of gays in cinema circle, actors,directors or others...
But err u know there r many rumours about gays i just wanna learn the obvious and confirmed names ( but i m open for rumours also :) )
i have heard those names : ( but i m not sure completely )
Keanue Reeves
Bruce Willis
Brad Pitt ( bisex )
Pedro Almodovar
-------------------
and whom do u know additionaly ?
pre-tender

Re: Gay Actors,Directors ?

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:44 pm

Sergei Parajanov,Carl T Dreyer,Michelangelo Antonion,Rainer Werner Fassbinder,F.W.Murnau ,Derek Jarman,among the director's some talent there i'm sure you'll agree there are heaps of others but i'll leave that to someone else..cheers
gratefultiger

Postby Gaz » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:15 am

Many of Britain's finest actors are or were gay. I'm thinking of Alec Guinness, John Gielgud, Ian McKellen, Nigel Hawthorne, Dirk Bogarde, Simon Callow, Stephen Fry, Ian Charleson, Rupert Everett, the list goes on.
Gaz

Postby HekateMistress » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:20 am

Sergei Eisenstein, Kenneth Anger, John Waters, Paul Morrissey, John Schlesinger, Gus van Sant, Todd Haynes, Francois Ozon, Ian McKellan, Tsai Ming-Liang, Gregg Araki, Bruce La Bruce, Monika Treut, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Thom Fitzgerald, Joel Schummacher, Todd Verow, Rose Troche, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Cocteau, Paul Bartel, Terence Davies, John Greyson, Andre Techine. I'm sure there are a lot of others. I focused more on filmmakers than actors.
HekateMistress

Postby somegreatmovies » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:35 am

wow... so many great filmmakers were gay... I knew about some of them, but Dreyer (really?), Murnau, and Antonioni (are you sure?) were surprises.
somegreatmovies

Postby HekateMistress » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:44 am

I knew of Murnau, but I do agree Antonioni and Dreyer were both surprises. You can probably go back to the early half of the past century and find handfuls of widely-recognized homosexuals. One I just remembered from that time was German actor Conrad Veidt; and of course, there's always those conspiracy theories that Alfred Hitchcock was a closet homosexual (would perhaps explain his hatred for women...). A side-comment. A friend of mine told me Melanie Griffith was a horrid homophobe, yet she starred in John Waters' most recent film, and he's gay as the day is long. I've always heard she was a pain to work with, and I guess Mr. Waters must have had extra trouble with her during the making of that film. I'll just assume Ms. Griffith hasn't seen any of her husband Antonio's early Spanish films, especially the Almodóvar ones.
HekateMistress

Postby paredes » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:32 pm

I'm sure the stories of Miss Griffiths are a lie, just as the idea that gay men are women-haters is one of the biggest lies ever said about gay men. Who do you think dresses all those Hollywood women to make them look so fabulous?
paredes

Postby bmxsuperhero » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:24 pm

Jean Cocteau is another.
bmxsuperhero

Postby pre-tender » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:04 pm

wow i m really surprised to learn so many gays from showbiz :) but learning of the names of so brillant filmmaker-actor... also pleased me because when people learn this situation they will figure out that "making a masterpiece is not about what u do in bedroom, it is about how u r more than what u r..."
well thanks for those who helped me to feel better :)
pre-tender

Postby chris » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:20 pm

Gaz,Your comments about british actors is interesting and true but weren't some of the old school actors i.e.Olivier,Gielgud,Hawthorne,O'Toole(Irish) actually straight but dabbled in the old british art school tradition of buggery & experimentation.
chris

Next

Return to Questions