Gay Actors,Directors ?

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Re: Gay Actors,Directors ?

Postby Gaz » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:17 pm

Well, Hawthorne was certainly gay through and through. As for Gielgud, not sure - he may have had "experiences" but I had a feeling there was more to it than just that. As for the other two, Olivier was married a few times I think (though of course that's no guarantee of heterosexuality), and I would have said O'Toole was straight.

One sure thing is that gay activity in one's formative years is no guarantee of sexuality. At some UK public (i.e. private) schools such things are practically part of the uniform. An admirable tradition.

Postby Lafleurette » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:55 pm

Jean Cocteau's lover was Jean Marais. But who the heck cares about who's gay or not gay. Get a life all of you.

Postby Gaz » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:03 am

Well I think it's interesting to see how an actor's or director's sexuality contributes directly to their art. Derek Jarman for instance let his sexuality influence his films a great deal, whereas in less enlightened times other similar people would not have been able to do this.

Quite apart from this, these posts may make those gay members of feel more at home here. Sexuality's not the be-all and end-all, but it's certainly an important part of life for many of us.

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:46 pm

not being gay but a film buff we would miss out on a lot of classics without these guys,great films endure no matter who makes them .and we "get a life" by watching them don't we?

Postby pre-tender » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:13 pm

What a great point gratefulltiger ( Thanks Charles :) ) touched!!! Yes i have asked it because i m gay but i think all members of this beautiful site think that being a gay is nothing but a sexual identity, err yes to some extend what u do in bedroom and with whom categorizes u as gay but especially gay artists convinces us that their sexual identities influences their art even though they hide or deny it. i wanted to learn gay film-makers because when i m watching those film i would see them from another perspectives and to be frank knowing the names of those great gay atrists helps me to feel in comfort but not to be proud of being a gay; those film-makers r great but not cos of gayness but cos of their talents...
that is why this discussion should be over names and their works not over banal topics over gayness..
also i dont want to turn this board into a gay-forum but we can not deny that seeing how gayness is expilicitly or implicitly reflected in some great movies would be a innovative&effective experience over film&gays...
thansk for all who replied this topic and especially for Gaz and Gratefulltiger for their efforts to protect this topic to be "a discussion over sexual identity"...

Postby nina* » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:39 pm

Tallulah Bankhead(love that woman),Marlene Dietrich,Brigitte Bardot(claimed to have had one night stand with Marilyn Monroe),Sir Ian Mccellen,John Cameron Mitchell(Headwig and the angry inch),Gus Van Sant,James Whale,Anthony Perkins,James Dean(-bi?),sir Dirk Bogarde,Rainer Werner Wassbinder(director),Clift Montgomery,(Divine,RuPaul,Angelina Jolie(bi),Nathan Lane..)The list goes on and on...

Return to Questions