USA Vs. France

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

USA Vs. France

Postby bmxsuperhero » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:15 pm

The last thing I hope to do with this thread is start a political debate, but I'm having a bit of a dilemma. As some of you know, such American chains have renamed their famous "French-fried-potaters" from "French fries" to "freedom fries," in response to France's decision not to support the US on their intent for war. This rule also applies to "French toast," if you were wondering. Granted this sentiment is mainly held by right-wing conservatives and poorly-educated Americans driven by blind patriotism. But regardless, does this French backlash in the US mean that we won't be seeing many good art films from France in the coming few months? I hope the film industry wouldn't follow such a sentiment, but you never know. I surely hope not.

Any comments or greater insight to the matter would be excellent.
bmxsuperhero

Re: USA Vs. France

Postby jpmccusa » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:47 pm

If there's money in it, we'll see them, you may be sure of that. Do you think the sort of audience they would have had anyway would be likely to boycott French products? We'll have to see about that, of course...but it seems unlikely from the way you phrased your question.
jpmccusa

Postby pre-tender » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:25 pm

i am sure even though there will occur a nominal-boycott for Frenchs films it will last short-time. Because you know this probable war will take a short time for Bush administrations or i should say USA-Military and people will forget this and everything will go on as it was before the war...
if all people had boycotted all opposing countries, believe me we would have just seen our own films...
we boycotted ( i mean Turks) italian productions for they kept a notorious terrorist Ocalan ( whose terrorist-group killed 30,000 Turks!!!) and some italian-made films' release was postponed, then Turks forgot this boycott just in a month and every italian production is eveyrwhere now...!!!
Also i m sure everybody who is making money from films (whether rightits or any other USA citizens) wont let this political issues to affect their source of money and will make great effort in order to decrease this boycott...
Money talks...! :))
pre-tender

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:26 am

USA v Britain
I Love their cinema but we hate them as well,it`s ok for you lot as you don`t have to live 25 miles away by tunnel,you can smell their smelly Garlic from across the Channel and it puts us off as we try and tuck into our lovely healthy fish and chips.The French hide their courage under their soap bar.We in the Uk have over 45,000 troops in the Gulf so Dont forget we are their as well.Mind you they do have some very sexy women,Whoooooopssssssssssssss
HASSELBAINK007

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:27 am

Uk v France I Love their cinema but we hate them as well,it`s ok for you lot as you don`t have to live 25 miles away by tunnel,you can smell their smelly Garlic from across the Channel and it puts us off as we try and tuck into our lovely healthy fish and chips.The French hide their courage under their soap bar.We in the Uk have over 45,000 troops in the Gulf so Dont forget we are their as well.Mind you they do have some very sexy women,Whoooooopssssssssssssss
HASSELBAINK007

Postby chris » Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:12 am

It was so important Jimmy Floyd had to say it twice.
chris

Postby Gaz » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:42 pm

Well I like the French - there, I've said it. Need I remind Jimmy Floyd (assuming he is Blue like me) that Marcel Desailly, William Gallas etc are French.

If you don't understand this message don't worry. You are probably American.
Gaz

Postby Lafleurette » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:09 pm

Gas, I also like the French. HASSELBAINK007 you are a typical english nerd. No style in clothes, the food is lousy , the weather is crappy and they are so pale they all look like they have TB. And the French don't like you anymore than you like them. No wonder with an attitude like yours.
Lafleurette

Postby chris » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:32 am

Fulham & Arsenal are practically all French too.Not bad for a New Jersey guy,huh?
chris

Postby chris » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:33 am

Fulham & Arsenal are practically all French too.Not bad for a New Jersey guy,huh?8 Women is the best film I've seen this year.Oh that Fanny Ardent!!!
chris

Next

Return to Questions