classic japanese films

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

classic japanese films

Postby manicmo » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:50 pm

Can someone give me a list of recommended films and directors to help me learn about more japanese films aside from Kirasawa, whom I have devoured. I just read a comment here about Mizoguchi who I will look into. Others?

Re: classic japanese films

Postby kcpuden1 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:47 pm

Here's a few :

Nagisa Oshima
Shohei Imamura
Kaneto Shindo
Kon Ichikawa
Kenji Mizoguchi
Teinosuke Kinugasa
Yasujiro Ozu
Mikio Naruse
Teinosuke Kinugasa

Most of these directors films are difficult to find on DVD, though Criterion has one, Good morning, more soon to come of Ozu. Kon Ichikawa's An Actor's revenge is available across the pond from our friends the Brits. The rest, I haven't found yet, if you do, please let me know, as I am a BIG fan of Japanese films.

Postby manicmo » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:24 am

Thanks so much. It happens I will be in London in July. If I find the good Japanese DVDs, can I transcribe them to the US system? I started with Mizoguchi but the prints are terrible.

Postby kcpuden1 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:20 pm

I believe the Brits use the PAL system, where as we use the NTSC system. If you want to use DVD's from all over the world and not have to worry about formats and regions, I suggest you get a DVD player that will take care of it for you. I have a Malata DVD player, I can play DVD's purchased from all over the world. It was the best purchase I've ever made. Check out They have numerous DVD players that fit the bill. Like I said, I bought my Malata DVD player from, but they have several other brands. Good Luck, have a good time across the pond!

Postby john-5 » Thu May 01, 2003 9:12 am

Sorry to hear about the Mizoguchi print quality, Manicmo. I've mainly got videos of his films, either British or from France internet shopping- Fnac- which work ok, despite being a different system to our PAL, as they're in black and white.

Anyway, however, you get them, here's my objective list of highly rated films. Some i've not seen- unavailable in Britain, but perhaps USA has them.

Mizoguchi: Sansho Dayu*, Ugetsu Monogatari*, Life of Oharu, Story of the Late Chrysanthemums, Tales of the Taira Clan.

Ozu: Tokyo Story*, Late Spring, I was Born But

Kurosawa: Seven Samurai*, Rashomon*, Hidden Fortress, Ran, Throne of Blood, High and Low, Ikiru

Kitano: Hana-Bi, Sonatine

Miyazaki (animations): Spirited Away*, My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke.

Imamura: The Eel, Ballad of Narayama, Vengeance is Mine

Ichikawa: Enjo, The Burmese Harp, Fires on the Plain, An Actor's Revenge.

Kore-eda; Maborosi, After Life

Kobayashi: The Human Condition (trilogy), Kwaidan

Oshima: Ai no Corrida, Death by Hanging, The Ceremony
Naruse: Floating Clouds

Fukasaku: Battle Royale

Miike: Audition

Suzuki: Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill

Teshigahara: Woman of the Dunes

Itami: Tampopo

Shinoda: Double Suicide

Suo: Shall we Dance

Takahata (animation): Grave of the Fireflies

Otomo (animation): Akira

Yamanaka; Humanity and Paper Balloons

Kinugasa: Page of Madness

Aoyama: Eureka

Nakata: Ring

Tsukamoto: Tetsuo

Kinoshita: Twenty Four Eyes

It's just occurred to me that you could also check under the section for countries here, and on the Internet Movie Database (imdb), but i think my list covers most styles, genres and major names and films. Setting aside personal taste, i've asterisked the most essential films. The major classic directors are Kurosawa, Mizoguci, Ozu. Of contemporary names, Kitano and Miyazaki have big followings.

Postby gratefultiger » Thu May 01, 2003 10:30 pm

i think you forgot the underrated Naruse surely in the vanguard of great japanese directors.

Postby manicmo » Fri May 02, 2003 1:13 pm

This is wonderful, I am very grateful. Now the challenge is to hunt them down. Thanks john-5 and all..

Postby john-5 » Sat May 03, 2003 5:49 pm

Naruse finds himself clinging to Oshima, Gratefultiger!

Postby kcpuden1 » Sat May 03, 2003 6:27 pm

Just to follow up on John-5, I have Naruse listed after Ozu.

Postby gratefultiger » Sun May 04, 2003 10:22 pm

yeah ! i'm blaming these bloody bi-focals ,i'm going back to reading glasses.cheers :-)

Return to Questions