films for under age 14

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

films for under age 14

Postby asheram5 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:09 pm

Can anyone suggest foreign films from any country which would be appropriate to show teens between the age of 12- 15-especially films made in the last 10 years.....
asheram5

Re: films for under age 14

Postby jpmccusa » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:47 pm

"My Life So Far"
"Kahlekuningas"
"Le Jeune Werther"
"Pelle the Conqueror"
"La Promesse" maybe
"Devil's Backbone" maybe
"Once in a Blue Moon"
"Edges of the Lord"
jpmccusa

Postby Gaz » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:50 pm

Au Revoir Les Enfants (especially) and Europa Europa are both very good films, though serious (both set in WWII).

For something more light-hearted, try My Life As A Dog or if you can find it the excellent Czech film Elementary School (Obecna Skola), though both films feature children a little younger than 12.

If they want something funny, try Delicatessen - it's a film which ought to appeal to most children from 12-15, provided they have enough appetite for the gruesome (which in my experience is usually the case).
Gaz

Postby john-5 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:55 pm

My niece when aged 11 greatly enjoyed 2 Iranian films as her introduction to international (i.e not in English) cinema. The Apple by Samira Makhmalbaf (who was only 18 when she directed it) is about 2 girls who are confined to their small home and yard by their severely traditional father, until a Social worker's visit enables them to explore the city outside. The White Balloon, by Jafar Panahi, is a charming tale of a young girl who is in a race against time to buy a pretty goldfish before the shops shut for New Year.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:06 pm

Sorry, you wanted for 12-15. Perhaps my suggestions will still do anyway, they're much enjoyed by adults too, but i'll second Gaz' ideas. How about some Miyazaki animations (Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke are probably the most famous), loved by all ages. Battle Royale possibly for 15 year olds- quite violent, not sure of the age certificate. It's about a bunch of Japanese school kids who are taken to an island and forced to hide out and kill each other till only one is left. Crouching Tiger is a grand, entertaining, very popular and successful, Oscar-winning Chinese fantasy adventure, with gravity-defying martial arts. The French film Amelie has also been extremely popular.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:07 pm

Sorry, you wanted for 12-15. Perhaps my suggestions will still do anyway, they're much enjoyed by adults too, but i'll second Gaz' ideas. How about some Miyazaki animations (Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke are probably the most famous), loved by all ages. Battle Royale possibly for 15 year olds- quite violent, not sure of the age certificate. It's about a bunch of Japanese school kids who are taken to an island and forced to hide out and kill each other till only one is left. Crouching Tiger is a grand, entertaining, very popular and successful, Oscar-winning Chinese fantasy adventure, with gravity-defying martial arts. The French film Amelie has also been extremely popular.
john-5

Postby asheram5 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:32 pm

Thank you everyone - had never heard of some of these films
asheram5

Return to Questions