Name this period piece

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Name this period piece

Postby claudeusgothicus » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:56 am

Finally got smart and am asking for help... I have been reading past post and am so impressed with the knowledgeable help offered on this site, that I joined hoping that someone can help me too... I am looking for the title (for a very long time now) of a period piece that I believe may have been Austrian...? or about a royal house of Austria? subtitled in english. The (true?) story was about a boy taken at birth, the mother was told he did not survive... and secluded without human contact... it had something to do with royal houses in line for the throne I think... at some point the boy now a man is released... (I don't remember why) he is not autistic, but cannot speak or even walk having no human contact in all his years... a teacher/scientist? finds him and teaches him to read and function somewhat... at the end, I believe his mother and sister come upon him in a park like setting, and although they know who he is, they refuse to acknowledge him (for his own safety...?) I wish I could remeber the year it was set in, but as I saw the film only once 5 years or more ago, I struggle to try to place the fashion or anything of the film that might help. I remember
mountains and isolated rural settings, the wealthy ladies of the day could have been wearing fashion anywhere from 1500 to 1800, I simply cannot remember. Definately not spanish, or english fashion, some other European country. I keep wanting to say Habsburg...? Any clue is appreciated.
claudeusgothicus

Re: Name this period piece

Postby Gaz » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:13 am

Well, there's not really anything about looking for his mother in the film, but it's almost certainly The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser [url]http://www.foreignfilms.com/films/1928.asp?search=1&stype=0[/url]. I think there was a US remake of it about 10 years ago.
Gaz

Postby claudeusgothicus » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:00 pm

Thank-you soooo much! ==:) I appriciate your help and would ask you one more question if I could Gaz, I don't remember him looking for his mother either, but I vaguely recollect his mother(?) at the end being aware of him... can you remember why his family would not acknowledge him then? If not that's ok, now that I know the title I can purchase it, and will also look for the remake to watch as well... once again, thank-you!
claudeusgothicus

Postby Gaz » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:44 pm

Well, I don't think so, but I haven't seen it for a year or two. I'm going to rewatch it soon though, so if there is anything then I could let you know. I know other people on this site know the film though, so if anyone else can shed light on the subject that would be great. It's got me wondering about it now.
Gaz

Postby claudeusgothicus » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:04 am

Thank-you again Gaz, looks like you will be watching it again before I get the chance to. I do appreciate how helpful everyone here is... I will stay on the odd chance I can help someone else with something... I must say though, you all seem to have everything covered. My interest lie primarily in period pieces, for the costuming actually... I'm afraid the only other area I know much about is older American films which I watch repeatedly. Not much help on a foreign film site I'm afraid... will hang around to repay the favor if at all possible though. And in the meanwhile, I shall learn about some great films from your discussion that I may enjoy seeing myself :)
claudeusgothicus

Postby katyd9 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:30 pm

This is one of my favorite films! He did see him mother in the park. I don't remember how they knew each other, but she didn't want to acknowledge him for the same reason that he was taken away and hidden, I think. It had a lot to do with the politics of the day. Also, I don't think that he was accepted for being who he thought he was.
katyd9

Return to Questions