What is German expressionism?

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

What is German expressionism?

Postby HenryGinsberg » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:56 am

I think that I will make my new year's resolution to see some films by Murnau as he is one of a few major film makers who I haven't been lucky enough to catch anything by. So I was just wondering - what exactly is German expressionism?
HenryGinsberg

Re: What is German expressionism?

Postby nina* » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:46 pm

Try this site: http://silentmoviemonsters.tripod.com/germanexpressionism.html
nina*

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:13 pm

From what little I know...

Expressionism was initially a visual art movement in Germany pioneered by the groups Blaue Reiter and Die Brucke - look at paintings by people like Oscar Kokoschka or Wassily Kandinsky (himself a Russian) for examples. The term "Expressionism" was adopted to demonstrate the counterpoint to the French "Impressionist" movement. While Monet etc. painted landscapes, Expressionists believed that art should show the inner "Geist" of the artist and so concentrated on portraits of people in despair etc. Munch's The Scream is probably the most famous Expressionist painting.

This ethos was adopted later by composers (Schoenberg, Strauss etc.) and cineastes like Murnau and, to some extent, Fritz Lang.
Gaz

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:19 pm

Actually, some of the information I have given above is a bit misleading. For less abstract Expressionist art, try looking at Munch or Max Beckmann. Nina's link is excellent though.
Gaz

Postby nina* » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:36 am

Some examples of Expressionist paintings on this little page, if your're interested.. (check out the quotes in the bottom of the page..;-). Max Beckmann (lot of great paintings, love the colors), George Grosz ("to Oskar Panizza" is fab), Otto Dix (not for the self portrait..) & George Rogault ("Slaughter") are some of my personal favourites on this field..
www.artlex.com/ArtLex/e/Expressionism.html
nina*

Return to Questions