Amerca's Image In Foreign Films

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Amerca's Image In Foreign Films

Postby jhorich » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:37 pm

I am researching a paper about how the United States is portrayed in foreign films. Though American characters and dialogue about American, what is the image of the USA in foreign cinema? Has that image changed over the years in different cultures?

If anyone knows of any papers, articles, books, documentaries, references, ect. that would help me out in my research that would be great.

Re: Amerca's Image In Foreign Films

Postby jh66 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:48 am

afraid i don't have any tech data,but i think it's more a case of what image the USA gives itself overseas(talking stereotypes via Hollywood here).
speaking as a Brit,we-maybe like other europeans-see how the US portrays itself & it's people through film in mixed ways ;powerful,great,welcoming,sinister,violent,creative,proud,scared,suspicious,friendly,hateful,freedom-loving,racist...etc.
hollywood is a business though,and as such,could not possibly be a responsible or credible conduit for truth or fair assessment due to it's need for using sensationalism to generate a profit.

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:37 am

Try Jean Luc-Godard's "In Praise of Love",the old lefty get's stuck into the yanks & the hollywood system.Top film too.

Postby smurfrevolt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 pm

You might look at it through the lens of post-colonial theory too. I can't remember whether it was Bhaba or Spivak who said something about how the colonized would syncretize the Colonizer's culture and language with their own; there's also mimicry, and a third thing...I think, about being "the other" of the colonizer. Anyway, it would probably be a good idea to mention the cinema of the former American colonies and see how they represent America, Americans, etc, and what America's impact is on the culture. :D

Return to Questions