Strange film. 50s maybe. Possibly French. Hairy woman in carnival.

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Strange film. 50s maybe. Possibly French. Hairy woman in carnival.

Postby iilana49 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:36 am

I want to say this movie was 50s, but it could have been a decade older or newer. It was black and white and I believe it was French or other European. The story centered around a woman with a condition that caused her to have fur all over her body. The woman was sold to a circus where she worked as a sideshow freak. The woman looked like Ingrid Bergman but this film is not listed in her filmography. She fell in love with the carnival owner who promoted her and eventually pursuaded him to marry her. The guy lived off her sideshow earnings. In the end she lost her fur during childbirth and her husband faced the tragic possibility of having to seek gainful employment. I think this movie was meant to be a black comedy, but it was facinatingly strange and somewhat feminist in an offbeat way. I saw it on late night television about 33 years ago and it was titled, "The Hairy Woman" but this was probably the American title. I have searched for this film and even asked a professor of a film class once. No luck. Does anyone remember this movie?
iilana49

Re: Strange film. 50s maybe. Possibly French. Hairy woman in carnival.

Postby Labellequevoila » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:04 am

Perhaps you're talking about the movie "La Donna scimmia" w/Ugo Tognazzi & Annie Girardot. English title "The ape woman" 1963 or 64. French title" Le mari de la femme a barbe"
Labellequevoila

Re: Strange film. 50s maybe. Possibly French. Hairy woman in carnival.

Postby iilana49 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:52 pm

That may have been the film if it was ever shown on American television. Do you know where I can obtain more information about this film?
iilana49

Return to Questions