A couple of other books I would recommend that offer a good introduction to world cinema but also feature independents and lesser known titles...
* The Off-Hollywood Film Guide
by Tom Wiener
- a nice compendium of foreign and independent titles
* The 100 Best Films to Rent You've Never Heard Of
by David N. Meyer
- not as many foreign titles but a nice book nonetheless.
* The A List: 100 Essential Films
edited by Jay Carr
- The National Society of Film Critics' chooses 100 essential films, including many foreign titles. In-depth essays on each film.