Films never seen

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Films never seen

Postby mikevan9 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:02 pm

I don't know why I find this topic (among us) to be interesting, but I do. Even though it seems we've all seen most of the worldwide classics, there are still some on my list.

If you go by the ranking of all time films on theyshootpictures.com (which is a composite of several lists and link is below, if I've done it right), which are the top films that you have yet to see?

Mine are (and, yes, I need to see more Fellini):

1. Rules of the Game
2. 8
3. Singin in the Rain
4. La Dolce Vita
5. Children of Paradise
6. Au Hasard Balthazar
7. Ordet
8. Ugetsu
9. La Strada
10. The Mirror

www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_ranking1-100.htm
mikevan9

Re: Films never seen

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:29 pm

Mikevan hi, you mean you haven't seen the ones listed above?

I'll have to check through the full list.

Wild Strawberries, being trying to get hold of this for a long time.

Nashville, don't really know why except I have no love for country & western music, I've had plenty of opportunity to see it but I've never really been bothered.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby mikevan9 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:34 pm

Yes. In other words, of the movies on the list - there are a 1,000 of them, ranked - those are the top ranked ones I haven't seen. Of the first 100, I've seen about 75 of them. Been avoiding Fellini for most of my life, although I saw Nights of Cabiria recently and liked it.
mikevan9

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:16 pm

I only looked at the top 100, the 2 listed are the ones I haven't seen although there are quite a few I haven't seen in a long time.

My biggest surprise from your list was "Singin in the Rain" it's the sort of film you think everyone has seen at least once, I'm not a great fan of musicals but this is a classic, fairly humorous as well.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:00 pm

Not to be a know it all, but I've seen all the films on the top 100.

Now if I poke through the remaining 900 I'm sure they'll be a couple. Honestly I'm a little impressed with myself.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:30 am

I realize that it's not a competition (nor it should be), but I'm also impressed (with myself ). 97 is the # for me, and the 3 I haven't seen from the top 100 are:

The Magnificent Ambersons (for obvious reasons, although that shouldn't have stopped me)

Fanny and Alexander (Not to long ago, Rosenbaum hadn't seen it either so I had company)

The Wild Bunch (still catching up on Pechinpah)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:29 am

I was a little skeptical with the ranking there. I mean how is From Here to Eternity #1000? There was a lot of crap above that. Now the three films you just mentioned are pretty damn deserving, although only the Wild Bunch would probably make my top 100. Criterion's DVD of Fanny and Alexander is pretty well worth it, but you should know that by now. As for Ambersons, well maybe some day it'll come out on DVD, I've seen it three times, and all off of TCM. I would recommend reading my review of it, but it works a little better if you've seen the film, I don't want you to come after me claiming I gave away too much.
wpqx

Postby kookook » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:24 pm

1. Rules of the Game
2. 8
3. Singin in the Rain
4. La Dolce Vita
5. Children of Paradise
6. Au Hasard Balthazar
7. Ordet
8. Ugetsu
9. La Strada
10. The Mirror

Me too never seen all those movie...
kookook

Postby wpqx » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:45 pm

Damn Singin' in the Rain should be mandatory for all human's to see, it's in my personal Top Ten.

My weakness with foreign films comes from modern pictures, I'm very ignorant of most contemporary international films, only a select number do I get to see, but I got the classics covered better than most.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:09 pm

From the first 50 I havent seen:

(5) Dir 8 (Fellini, Federico; 1963; Italy)
(10) Dir Sunrise (Murnau, F.W.; 1927; US)
(17) Dir Passion of Joan of Arc, The (Dreyer, Carl; 1928; France)
(2 Dir L'Avventura (Antonioni, Michelangelo; 1960; Italy-France)
(36) Dir Ordet (Dreyer, Carl; 1955; Denmark)
(37) Dir Seventh Seal, The (Bergman, Ingmar; 1957; Sweden)
(41) Dir Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizoguchi, Kenji; 1953; Japan)
(43) Dir Persona (Bergman, Ingmar; 1966; Sweden)

Im curious for all of those, and have some waiting at home.
A

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations