Blind Swordsman films (Japan)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Blind Swordsman films (Japan)

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:16 am

Thanks Sara, I don't know if I'll be able to find "the Blind Swordsman and the Chess Expert" but everything I've read on it has been positive, it's certainly one that's highly rated among the Zatoichi fans. I'm sure there's a greater selection in the US than here but I'll keep searching for any more. I have far more respect for the films now that I've had a chance to see a few of them and even more respect for Takeshi Kitano for taking on the update.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:16 am

Thanks Sara, I don't know if I'll be able to find "the Blind Swordsman and the Chess Expert" but everything I've read on it has been positive, it's certainly one that's highly rated among the Zatoichi fans. I'm sure there's a greater selection in the US than here but I'll keep searching for any more. I have far more respect for the films now that I've had a chance to see a few of them and even more respect for Takeshi Kitano for taking on the update.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:25 am

Shin Zatichi monogatari: Oreta tsue (1972) Zatoichi in Desperation

Directed by Shintar Katsu

Starring Shintar Katsu,

Zatoichi in desperation or Shintar Katsu in despair ?

Shintar Katsu not only played Zatoichi in this episode he also directed it. Darker more brutal and pretty miserable overall, it makes you wonder what was happening in his personal life at that time.

Storywise, Zatoichi passes an old woman on a bridge, she slips and falls into the waiting waters, without a doubt shes dead and Zatoichi carries the burden of guilt believing that in some way it was his fault. He traces the womans daughter who is working as a prostitute and buys out her contract so she is free, but his conscience over the womans death prevents him from noticing the injustice inflicted on the local fishermen whose boats are deliberately damaged so they will have to work for a pittance for the local gang boss, I haven't seen a Zatoichi film before where this sort of injustice has gone unpunished.

Zatoichi himself has a high price on his head so throughout the film he is dispatching adversaries who are greedy enough to try and kill him. There is one hell of a killing spree toward the end (despite the fact that Zatoichi gets his fingers broken), where everyone who deserves to die does so.

More than enough depth to the story but its depressing, despairing even compared to the others.

The cinematography is bizarre, I dont know if he was trying for an arty look but half the time the camera seems to be shooting far too close to the subject or out of focus, maybe he took on too much by trying to direct as well, .

Above average? Storywise yes but the way its been filmed may be off-putting to some.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:25 am

Shin Zatichi monogatari: Oreta tsue (1972) Zatoichi in Desperation

Directed by Shintar Katsu

Starring Shintar Katsu,

Zatoichi in desperation or Shintar Katsu in despair ?

Shintar Katsu not only played Zatoichi in this episode he also directed it. Darker more brutal and pretty miserable overall, it makes you wonder what was happening in his personal life at that time.

Storywise, Zatoichi passes an old woman on a bridge, she slips and falls into the waiting waters, without a doubt shes dead and Zatoichi carries the burden of guilt believing that in some way it was his fault. He traces the womans daughter who is working as a prostitute and buys out her contract so she is free, but his conscience over the womans death prevents him from noticing the injustice inflicted on the local fishermen whose boats are deliberately damaged so they will have to work for a pittance for the local gang boss, I haven't seen a Zatoichi film before where this sort of injustice has gone unpunished.

Zatoichi himself has a high price on his head so throughout the film he is dispatching adversaries who are greedy enough to try and kill him. There is one hell of a killing spree toward the end (despite the fact that Zatoichi gets his fingers broken), where everyone who deserves to die does so.

More than enough depth to the story but its depressing, despairing even compared to the others.

The cinematography is bizarre, I dont know if he was trying for an arty look but half the time the camera seems to be shooting far too close to the subject or out of focus, maybe he took on too much by trying to direct as well, .

Above average? Storywise yes but the way its been filmed may be off-putting to some.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:59 am

Just got hold of 2 more, comments coming soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:59 am

Just got hold of 2 more, comments coming soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Sara » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:16 pm

Trevor, great joy reviewing all the Blind Swordsman films.I'm going to wait a while and see which one you think is the best one. Then I will watch that before I see Kitano's.

Sara
Sara

Postby Sara » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:16 pm

Trevor, great joy reviewing all the Blind Swordsman films.I'm going to wait a while and see which one you think is the best one. Then I will watch that before I see Kitano's.

Sara
Sara

Postby A » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Well, maybe I'll watch some of those old flicks (if i ever get hold of em here), after your favorable reviews. Haven't seen Kitanos, because he himself said it was his most comercial film, so I wasn't really interested.
Thanks for the comments Trev. You're really making the site right now
A

Postby A » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Well, maybe I'll watch some of those old flicks (if i ever get hold of em here), after your favorable reviews. Haven't seen Kitanos, because he himself said it was his most comercial film, so I wasn't really interested.
Thanks for the comments Trev. You're really making the site right now
A

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations