Best Films of 2007

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of 2007

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:03 am

*Early on, especially, I noticed that the temporal transitions in Away from Her weren't very graceful. The cuts were too suggestive. Perhaps some connective tissue could've helped. Not a big issue, though. We shouldn't forget that this was her first feature. I'm sure she'll get better but the expectations will also be high. I was a little surprised that it didn't finish better on your list.

*Good points re: Ad Lib Night.

*Your comments on Betelnut reminded me of the new Argentine film I believe I mentioned to you before, Glue.

*I'm not sure if that's the case with his latest, but Suwa's earlier two impart a documentary flavor. H Story actually deals with the trials and tribulations of a cast and crew remaking Hiroshima mon amour. It's a fascinating work which may remind you a little of Irma Vep, though this is a tad more dry and academic, which some may refer to as boring and pretentious. Béatrice Dalle is featured here. I also like Valeria Bruni Tedeschi as an actress. Didn't care much for her debut feature; haven't seen her second.

*Thanks for the Armageddon-related warning.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:33 am

A wrote: Reprise. It has its moments, though the film as a whole isn't memorable in any way. I included it mostly out of sentimental reasons for the way it depicted adolescent relationships, and the way the camera caught the girls' faces. I could identify strongly with some of the multifaceted emotions in these certain scenes (loss, grief, wonder, melancholy, and a little hope, because of the mysteries of human emotions and the transformative powers of experiencing another person, all mixed into one) but besides that I didn't care much for any of the characters. The whole film also often feels like a reprise of Trainspotting, and the kind of films that have become popular since. Not always a good idea... Let me know what you think of it!

I have wanted to start a thread on this since last Dec, after watching it at the Norwegian film fest. shld we? at least all the thoughts are consolidated, even if we do not write much ...

My comments ... i like the starting a lot ... very well crafted, contrasting the two ... and with great humor ... but soon, it feels ok rather than wow ...
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:34 am

DISTRIBUTED FILMS (U.S./2007)

*Official theatrical releases only (a number of factors contributed to the eligibility of films from micro-indie distributors).

*Direct-to-DVD releases were considered if they met my 5-year World Premiere rule.

*The release years for non-2007 films are included for future reference.

PRIMARY SELECTIONS

Inland Empire - David Lynch / U.S.-Fra-Pol ['06]

Regular Lovers (Les Amants réguliers) - Philippe Garrel / France ['05]

Syndromes and a Century (Sang sattawat) - Apichatpong Weerasethakul / Thailand-Fra-Aut ['06]

Zodiac - David Fincher / U.S.

There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson / U.S.

The Darjeeling Limited & Hotel Chevalier - Wes Anderson / U.S.

Lights in the Dusk (Laitakaupungin valot) - Aki Kaurismäki / Finland-Ger-Fra ['06]

Private Fears in Public Places (Coeurs) - Alain Resnais / France-Ita ['06]

Los muertos - Lisandro Alonso / Argentina-Fra-Ned-Swi ['04]

Vibrator - Hiroki Ryuichi / Japan ['03]

Lake of Fire - Tony Kaye / U.S. ['06]

State Legislature - Frederick Wiseman / U.S.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Andrew Dominik / U.S.

Blame It on Fidel! (La Faute à Fidel!) - Julie Gavras / France-Ita ['06]

I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (Hei yan quan) - Tsai Ming-liang / Taiwan-Fra-Aut-Mly-Chn ['06]

I'm Not There - Todd Haynes / U.S.-Ger

Lady Chatterley - Pascale Ferran / France-Bel ['06]

*My Best Undistributed Films (2007) list.

*Coming Soon: An extended list of Secondary Selections.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm a little surprised to see Inland Empire taking the top prize.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:31 am

I think it's the sort of work of art which continually reveals its secrets and mysterious with each subsequent viewing. I've already experienced it on three different occasions, and can't wait to do so again.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:45 am

I hope your '07 list is coming along, wpqx. I'd like to see it.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Still working on theyshootpictures list, but I imagine once that wraps up (I only have about 50 left) most of the best films of '07 will be available and I'll have something of a crash course.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:19 pm

Good.
arsaib4

Postby A » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:45 pm

In teresting to see Inland Empire top your list! I wouldn't have thought you appreciated it this much when compared to some of your other favorites. I need a rewatch, as R6dw6C also keeps telling me that it's a masterpiece and maybe Lynch's best film, while I consider it one of his weaker efforts.

Also didn't know that you appreciated the new Wes Anderson this much. Am I right in assuming it's your favorite out of the films he directed so far?

I'm not there was a bit of a disappointment for me. Only passable in my book, and way too self conscious an flashy direction by Todd Haynes. I like his other efforts more. But I seem to say this about every favorite filmmakers new films I see these days...

I'm glad that you also included Lady Chatterley on your list. Maybe we should start a thread on it.

PS: I'm also waiting for your list wpqx! You don't have to have seen everything (god knows I haven't seen most of the new releases I have wanted to ). I'd just like to know what you liked most out of those you HAVE seen in/from 2007.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:22 am

Inland Empire is still "evolving" for me, for the better of course, and as I highly as I consider some of the other films from '07, this factor really made it stand out.

Yup, the W. Anderson really caught me by surprise. I think the level of depth and maturity on display is something I haven't quite seen before in his work.

We could certainly use a thread on Lady Chatterley. I'll definitely review it in time. (Which reminds me that you need to finish your review of the Sarah Polley film .)
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations