Best Films of 2007

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of 2007

Postby wpqx » Fri May 30, 2008 11:27 pm

In many ways Mamet has a similar problem of making a lot of characters sound like himself, but he's certainly had his moments of brilliance, and Redbelt is certainly a step up for me.

Tarantino has had moments of speaking for his characters in the past, including Reservoir Dogs but in previous films he's made up for it with a much more solid plot. Death Proof was neither clever or particularly compelling to make up for it.

That said I still enjoyed the film and liked it on its own merits, but Tarantino has built one of the most impressive filmographies of his generation and anything less than Kill Bill/Pulp Fiction will seem like a step down and a bit disappointing.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:12 am

Agreed, that's partly why it made my Secondary list. Though I must ask if you've seen the full-length version of Death Proof, the one which came out in the U.S. only on DVD?

And since you loved Planet Terror, the new Japanese film The Machine Girl looks/sounds like something you might enjoy.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat May 31, 2008 12:15 am

Sounds good to me, I should be able to find a DVD of it in a month with any luck.

I haven't seen the DVD release of Death Proof.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:34 am

I believe the full-length version, which also played in-competition at Cannes, is about 25 minutes longer. I say you should try to squeeze it in between your other ongoing missions. Perhaps you'll find the characters to be more well-rounded.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat May 31, 2008 1:26 am

I'm always suspicious of extended version of films that weren't particularly great. It might make the film a more well rounded experience, or it might just make a film more torturous.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:55 am

What's unique about this case is that the "extended" edition is the original version. It was always meant to be released separately as such. But Tarantino had to cut it down because otherwise the length of the Grindhouse feature would've gotten out of hand. Just something to keep in mind.
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations