Best Films of the 70s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of the 70s

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Just a little addition: There are several directors I'm looking forward to explore in the near future, or, to be more exact: to explore their films from this decade.

David Cronenberg (as I love his films from the Eighties and the Nineties, I'm sure the waiting was worth it)

Ingmar Bergman

Jerzy Skolimowski (right now, I'm listening to the soundtrack of "Deep end" by Can)

Andrzej Wajda

Alexander Kluge

Louis Malle (taped "Black Moon" a few weeks ago...)

Klaus Lemke

Franois Truffaut (Fortunately, the local library has got a box set with five films by him to offer)

Vittorio and Paolo Taviani

Robert Altman

Jacques Rivette

Peter Fleischmann

Fernando Arrabal

Luchino Visconti

Postby wpqx » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 am

I was about to say your list is a little heavy on the horror, but to each his own and you've already stated your case. Some of those films I haven't seen in a damn long time, like Vampire Circus. As far as Cronenberg's 70s work I would highly recommend Shivers which I still think is his best.

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:49 am

I even thought the same (too much Horror) but usually I don't separate into genres and if - the two most natural and important human emotions are melancholy and - fear. For example, every Hitchcock-Film is pure drama - and most of them are considered as thrillers usually. So part of the "horror films" listed are bizarre and surrealistic - "Vampire Circus" and "Hausu" among others - and the rest are films I like because of their tragedy and headstrong verbalised thoughts - not because I just want to be scared or entertained (this is the duty of the trashy stuff ).

"Shivers" is listed on my "Must-see-List" since two years but as it's sort of banned (there are two different kinds of ban practised here) in Germany, the DVD is hard to find for a nice price. Hope I will get the chance to buy "Rabid" and "The Brood" (also banned...) soon.

Postby wpqx » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:26 am

Ironic that The Brood is banned, I actually think its his weakest movie. Marilyn Chambers is pretty good in her "legitamate" film debut in Rabid, a good film similar to Shivers but nowhere near as experimental as Behind the Green Door.

Postby A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:04 pm

Ah don't worry R6dw6C. No one can see them all!
I haven't watched half of the films from your list, so there we go. Glad to see the Metzger mentioned. Maybe I will reconsider it for my list (as well as Profondo rosso ).
I also haven't seen anything by Cronenberg from the 70s (I think...).

Postby wpqx » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:38 am

Eastern Promises was released here Friday but is playing in only one overpriced and inconveniently located theater for now, so I might wait until next week.

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:47 am

It's terrific! One of the best films I've seen so far this year.

Postby wpqx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:20 pm

I'll definitely see it. I'm going to Springfield next week so I'll see if its playing down there. Considering I'm going to see a friend who I saw History of Violence with so keep up the Cronenberg.

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:48 pm

I'm also looking forward to see "Eastern Promises" (it will be released here in a few weeks) but I'll probably have to content myself with the German dubbed version as there's no theatre here in Nuremberg which shows such films in the original language version.

@ A:

The List isn't nearly complete. Maybe I should've added "Mes petites amoureuses" (I rated it only 7/10 but it impressed me a lot as I considered a few days ago) and I forgot Robin Hardys breathtaking "The Wicker Man". And, as a new addition, Harry Kmels amazing example of the so-called "magic realism", "Les Lvres rouges" (1971). Now I really NEED to get Kmel's other films, especially "Malpertuis", "Monsieur Hawarden" and "Paradise Lost". And Jean Rollins sweet fairy tale "Lvres du sang" would be also worth it.

You definitely have too few German films on your list! Beside that, I was surprised how often my list is corresponding to yours and the others. Luckily, my taste isn't lost yet.

Btw., has anyone seen anything by Stephanie Rothman? There will be a little hommage at this year's Vienna Film Festival and what I read about her films sounded extremely intriguing.

Postby A » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:59 pm

I'm glad you are beginning to like the Eustache film more and more. Believe me, the DVD we saw was really not that good (I remember the pristine copy at the cinema, which clearly revealed Nestor Almendros' cinematography as magical - I have to get that Days of Heaven Criterion DVD ).
I was thinking about Mes petites amoureuses myself recently, and I discvovered the new Jean Eustache Cinema in his home-town Pessac. Guess what the front of the building looks like: Jean Eustache Cinma

And I simply can't resist posting this little gem I found on google. Hopefully I'll dream I have this poster hanging in my bedroom tonight

You are right, I have too few German films listed, but that's because I've seen so little from that era. But maybe I should list some of Herzog's stuff. Next time I see them, I'll think about it.

Hope you have some of Kumel at home. I haven't seen anything, yet. And I can't help you on Stephanie Rothman. Never heard of her before.

Return to Lists and Recommendations