Film Journal

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Film Journal

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:10 am

On what format did you watch the Bresson film? And since Rocky IV has a higher rating, I must ask what's so special about it?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 am

The Bresson was on VHS. Rocky is a pleasure that I'm very guilty of adoring. Now Rocky IV is arguably the most formulaic of all Rocky films, but to me that's a good thing. It's a film I grew up with that defines America. I once made a long winded point in an unrelated class that Rocky is a microcosm of America in the later part of the 20th Century and this film is possibly the best proof of that. Good or bad, foretelling or embarrassing this film perfectly captures all that was going on in this country in 1985. Plus Drago is the best Rocky villain ever, and Rocky training in Siberia is priceless. Now truth be told we had gotten drunk the day before and discussed/debated the greatness of each individual Rocky film. I woke up at 9pm the next day hungover only to find that Rocky 3 and 4 were on TV so I took a refresher and found myself loving every minute of it, no matter how god awfully corny it is.

Now a prime example of a film that I didn't grow up with from a similar era was Halloween 4 which I gave a somewhat modest rating. There is a bias and a great deal of forgiveness. I would however argue that Stallone's best moment as a director came with this film, which probably isn't saying much in the grand scheme.

The Bresson film I did enjoy, but it falls short of Bresson's other work.

As for my worst film of the month I found Renoir's Picnic on the Grass to be a mess of a movie and clumsy on almost all accounts.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:50 am

Good defence of Rocky IV's rating. I'll have to check it out one of these days. I'm gonna assume that you've also seen Rocky V and Rocky Balboa. I think Stallone's new Rambo movie is coming out early next year. And you meant to say Rob Zombie in your comment about best directing moment, right?

Looking at your schedule for the last couple of months, I must say you need to watch a few more new films. I'd hate to see you trying to catch up upon the arrival of the list-making season. Many films which received limited theatrical distribution early on in the year are now gradually coming out on DVD. Kaurismki films are hard to come by in the U.S. and many have rightfully complained, but his latest, Lights in the Dusk, which I briefly discussed, is now available. And so is Tsai's socio-politically allegorical I Don't Want to Sleep Alone. I recently got hengcs to re-post Madhuban's review, which is spot-on. The likes of Ratatouille and Sicko are also out (I think), though you've probably already seen them. No End in Sight, which I earlier mentioned in your thread, is an important one on the documentary front. It will appeal to those who're politically conscious and don't need to be regurgitated the same despairing initial scenario. It's one of the most critically acclaimed docs of the year and I hope you get the chance to watch it.
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:07 pm

I find your rating system quite sympathetic, wpqx! It is really rare to find somebody who is able rate Renoir, Bresson, Welles and all the other well-reputated, famous directors (and those reputations are often doubtable, in my opinion) high but on the other hand, pays warm attention to less prestigious, commercial films - many people think that is is necessary to separate into art and entertainment - imo, both cannot be separated at all and a film like Antonioni's "The Passenger" (which most mainstream audiences would call "boring") entertains me on the same level (though in a different way maybe) as a big Hollywood-Flick (like Jacksons "King Kong" which I revisited yesterday). Entertainment certainly has much more to do with personal interest in the subject.
That's why It's always interesting and pleasing to read your viewing logs.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:58 am

Thanks for the praise, I love movies, and it does seem silly to bash a film like Rocky IV or Return of the Living Dead when there is nothing that really makes them better than films of some hard to pronounce European auteur.

I admit that this year is my weakest as far as new releases in nearly 5 years. I have seen next to nothing, and am ashamed. Even films that would be assumed I've seen I'm still ignorant on. I suppose I can make a small vow to hit the theater once a week from here on out. However I doubt I'll have anything ready for list making season.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:22 am

You'll be fine. But I want to point out that I made sure the films I mentioned earlier were available everywhere, and they are, on DVD. This way you can catch up without making trips to the theater. I know you like Tsai and would probably like to see his latest.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:23 pm

I've just been on my director path so long I haven't really kept up with new releases. I'm a little ticked that I missed Easter Promises, but I'll get to it eventually. I just hope that Tarr's latest gets a regular release here.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:55 am

Hmm, I wonder if I should open my own film journal thread. I've been watching close to 3 movies a day for the past couple of months and ironically cuts into the time I would generally take to opine on the films I've watched. wpqx's grading style is concise and I think I've got a decent grasp on his tastes to be able to glean cogent recommendations from them.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:19 am

As always any questions on the films listed I'll be happy to answer. I don't put a lot of information about them, like directors, availability, etc. Recommendations are a touchy subject because we all seem to like a tremendously diverse amount of films. Although I get the feeling that Westerns aren't too popular with people here.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 am

"I've just been on my director path so long I haven't really kept up with new releases. I'm a little ticked that I missed Easter Promises, but I'll get to it eventually. I just hope that Tarr's latest gets a regular release here."

If I were you, I'd now wait for the Cronenberg; it comes out on DVD next month (I'll update my thread shortly). I'd certainly like to see the new Tarr film being distributed here, and properly so, but I've been disappointed before.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations