They Shoot Pictures Don't They (December '07)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

They Shoot Pictures Don't They (December '07)

Postby wpqx » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Well I checked on this site to pass the time, and apparently just a few weeks ago they updated their entire list. From their calculations 139 films either entered or exited the list. Looking at some of the films they cited as "new" I remember seeing before so I'm not sure how thorough the check was. Of course it pains me to say that a few of the films that left the list are films I just watched (The Fortune is a case in point), but it gives me a few more things to look up.

www.theyshootpictures.com...g1-100.htm

That's the new list. Once again I've seen everything in the top 200, and once again it's Mikio Naruse's Floating Clouds that is my first obstacle, the only difference is the film jumped to #242.
wpqx

Re: They Shoot Pictures Don't They (December '07)

Postby jcdavies » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks for that info. Well, i've finally seen Floating Clouds, now on dvd in UK- and excellent it is too. Hideko Takamine gives a superb performance. And i've finally managed to order a Travelling Players dvd, and that's been top of my must-see list for ages. I usually keep an eye on TSPDT site too, but i've been taking time out from films recently, to catch up on paintings instead for a while but expect to come back to films and this site feeling refreshed and enthusiastic again at some point not long from now.
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm somewhat enthusiastically tackling the list in addition to working on Oscar hopefuls. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Traveling Players, it certainly deserves its place in any greatest film list.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 am

That's good to hear, John. Floating Clouds is one of the very best Naruse films I've seen so far. You're right, Takamine is certainly great in it. Will attempt a full-review after viewing it again, hopefully soon. It seems to me that every film Angelopoulos has made since that 1975 masterpiece is somehow connected to it. So I think watching it is very essential to understanding his work.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 am

Well their list of ins and outs seemed a little inaccurate. However there are 35 new films I need to see, and 22 films that were removed from their list. Making my grand total 137 films from both lists combined, so not bad out of 1139 films.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen more than 400 films on the new list, as that was about the number of movies I was familiar with from the old one. This is a very interesting endeavour, and though I have seen "Floating Clouds", there are many from the Top 100 I'm still missing.

@arsaib

I just bought a great Swiss book on Angelopoulos at the library in Nuremberg for 1 Euro. Don't know why they were selling it, as it seems to be a treasure trove, regarding ALL of the films Angelopoulos has made until 1990. Even his shorts and lost films are mentioned, there's a whole trasncript of "The Travelling Players" (like a protocoll, every sound, dialogue and camera-movement is listed), a chapter devoted to his biography (ca. 40 pages), and a long interview with Angelopoulos himself. Truly a labor of love, this reminded me that I should start ordering those Greek DVDs on a regular basis.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:41 am

Lucky you! Who's the author/editor of that Swiss book?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:45 am

I've been working on this list pretty well (with a few digressions throughout). Once I found out how close I was it has only fueled it more. A plus side is one of the OOP films (Intentions of Murder) I just saw today at the cinema.

The Angelopoulos book sounds great, although I have a handicap of never reading about films I've never seen.
wpqx

Postby A » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 am

The author of the book is Walter Ruggle. On the sleeve, it says he was born in Switzerland in 1955, is a film critic, and also writes for the Swiss film magazine "filmbulettin" (a decent magazine, which I read from time to time). He is also supposed to have written "larger works" (an awkward translation) on Bunuel, Greenaway, Kurosawa, Leone, Marker, Mizoguchi, Pasolini, Rohmer, Tarkovsky, and others. If they are anything like this 300+ Angelopoulos book, I'd love to get my hands on them.

@wpqx

I also tend to avoid reading about films I'm not familiar with in recent times. Don't know why exactly - maybe I'm subconsciously hoping to get hold of all those films in the near future?
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:44 pm

I just generally want to know as little about films before I see them as I can, I even hate watching trailers.
wpqx

Return to Lists and Recommendations