crouching tiger, hidden dragon

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Postby asia_bebe » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:18 pm

WELL disagreein with all of you guys i think the movie was OK ! someparts not all that but, it was purdy GOOD! but, if you would have to compare it with other movies NAWW i can't judge haha(so if it was all that why did it win all those nomations i guess haha j/w)
ms.mindy
asia_bebe

Postby gony_72 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:11 am

CTHD revolutionized movies! It was beautiful, comtemplative, sometimes too comtemplative, but always beautiful and poetic. I really only knew "kung-fu movies" from when I was a child. Kung Fu Theatre, anyone? This made it seem you could take any genre and make art out of it. Just the melding of mysticism, martial arts, the cinematography, and a damn good tale to tell made CTHD on of my top foreign films of the last few years. Chris
gony_72

Postby stof_ » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:37 pm

I'm not sure why so many people take issue with the fantasy aspects added into this film. Personally I found it breathtaking. To say that its hard to take seriously... you're not supposed to take it seriously. Do people ever watch a musical and then complain because "people don't break out singing in real life!"... No, but its ok because thats what you went to see.
Other people are also annoyed at how it is only semi foreign. Once again, think about it. I went with a group of my friends (I was about 17 at the time). The girls were all complaining about how they didn't want to see a movie with subtitles. We practically had to pull them into the theatre. But afterwards they couldn't stop praising the film. I think its great that CTHD has opened the mainstreams eyes to foreign cinema. I'd rather people watching this than 2fast 2furious!
And one more thing, this film has won over the action loving guy crowd, yet its actually a movie about a young girl growing up and finding herself. I wonder how many guys realize that?
stof_

Postby ckw58 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:40 pm

I liked this movie and if you did not like it well you should have gotten up and left, sure there were some things that were unreal but.......it was a MOVIE.
and it was diffrent with the things going on in the story
love affair(he wanted her)trust, shame, were you people see the same movie i did.
ckw58

Postby tomdan34 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:54 pm

I thought it was a pretty good movie. I liked pretty much everything about it except for those interminable fight scenes. They just went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

And all the fancy fight choreography started to look like fancy fight choreography for the sake of fancy fight choreography. I kept praying for someone to come along and just cut somebody's head off. It just seemed to me that any one of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai would have sliced that little girl into shoelaces before she finished her first set of elaborate leaps and kicks.
tomdan34

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:45 pm

Well I [b]loved it[/b]. I thought it was well acted, great plot, stunts were great, I loved, loved, loved the fight scenes and the backdrop stunning!
Ria

Postby dixie » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:23 pm

Definitely too Hollywood -- didn't like it.
dixie

Postby jasjesbe » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:03 pm

After seeing [b]The wedding banquet[/b], [b]Sense and sensibility[/b] and, specially, [b]Eat, drink, man, woman[/b], [b]Crouching tiger, hidden dragon[/b] was a complete disappointment.
jasjesbe

Postby nina* » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:10 am

The "desert" scenes bugged me as they seemed like cut from another movie, the quality of the picture wasn't as good and it just jumped to a totally different world.
Other wise, Im sure I would have loved it when I was 7, but unfortunately(-?) I've grown out of my Western phase.

nina*

Postby renren8662 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:00 pm

it was one of the best movies by ang lee and one of michelle yeoh's rare performance. i think she was overlooked at the Oscars that year because she didn't have the Best Actress award.
renren8662

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk