Undistributed Films (2007)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Undistributed Films (2007)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 am

This is my list of 30 Best "Undistributed" Films (2007). (A few mentioned below have been screened in the U.S. in one capacity or another but failed to meet my guidelines for distribution.) Only the films that premiered within the last 5 years and were seen in 2007 qualified for consideration.

in alphabetical order:

Ad Lib Night (Aju teukbyeolhan sonnim) - Lee Yoon-ki / S. Korea

Bashing - Kobayashi Masahiro / Japan

Black Friday - Anurag Kashyap / India

The Border Post (Karaula) - Rajko Grlic / Croatia-Slo-Mac-Srb & Mon-Bos & Hrz-U.K.

California Dreamin' (Endless) (California Dreamin' [Nesfarsit]) - Cristian Nemescu / Romania

Colossal Youth (Juventude Em Marcha) - Pedro Costa / Portugal-Fra-Swi

The Duchess of Langeais (Ne touchez pas la hache) - Jacques Rivette / France-Ita

Fengming: A Chinese Memoir (He Fengming) - Wang Bing / China-HK-Bel

Final Solution - Rakesh Sharma / India

Flight of the Red Balloon (Le Voyage du ballon rouge) - Hou Hsiao-hsien / France

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (4 luni, 3 saptamani si 2 zile) - Cristian Mungiu / Romania

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Toki wo kakeru shjo) - Hosoda Mamoru / Japan

The Go Master (Wu Qingyuan) - Tian Zhuangzhuang / China-Jpn

Honour of the Knights (Quixotic) (Honor de cavalleria) - Albert Serra / Spain

In the City of Sylvia (En la ciudad de Sylvia) - Jos Luis Guern / Spain-Fra

It's Winter (Zemestan) - Rafi Pitts / Iran

Lost In Beijing (Ping guo) - Li Yu / China

The Man from London (A Londoni frfi) - Tarr Bla / Hungary-Fra-Ger

Manslaughter (Drabet) - Per Fly / Denmark

Our Daily Bread (Unser tglich Brot) - Nikolaus Geyrhalter / Austria-Ger

The Paper Will Be Blue (Hrtia va fi albastr) - Radu Muntean / Romania

Paranoid Park - Gus Van Sant / France-U.S.

Le Pont des Arts - Eugne Green / France

Schindler's Houses (Schindlers Huser) - Heinz Emigholz / Germany-Aut

Secret Sunshine (Milyang) - Lee Chang-dong / S. Korea

66 Seasons (66 sezn) - Pter Kerekes - Slovakia-Cze Rep

The Trap (Klopka) - Srdjan Golubovic / Serbia-Ger-Hun

The Untouchable (L'Intouchable) - Benot Jacquot / France

Woman on the Beach (Haebyonui yoin) - Hong Sang-soo / S. Korea

Wrong Side Up (Prbehy obycejnho slenstv) - Petr Zelenka / Czech Republic-Ger-Svk

*2006 List
arsaib4

Re: Undistributed Films (2007)

Postby justindeimen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:26 am

Good list, especially the Korean films.

Here's a few more I saw (ranked), but stop me if they did end up getting distribution.

Aleksandra
Takva: A Man's Fear of God
Import/Export
The Banishment
Jar City
You the Living
Klass
The Way I Spent the End of the World

I was going to add Irina Palm but it looks like IFC picked it up.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:25 pm

The Man From London hasn't gotten a distribution deal yet? Sad to hear as I notoriously missed its premiere at the CIFF.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 am

No deal for the Tarr yet.

At this point, six films on my list are scheduled to be distributed in the U.S. in '08, starting with Hong's Woman on the Beach, which New Yorker will release next week. The Duchess of Langeais (IFC), Flight of the Red Balloon (IFC), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (IFC), Paranoid Park (IFC), and The Untouchable (Strand) are the others.
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Haven't even heard of 19 Films from your list, arsaib. But I guess, you've catched most of them at festivals, right?

I don't know if I already asked you this question: Did you watch Argento's "Mother of Tears" at the TIFF after all?
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:55 am

The Way I Spent the End of the World

I'm considering it for '07 -- not due to the token theatrical release its distributor Film Movement may or may not have granted it (though it is pushing the new Mexican film The Violin and appropriately so), but rather because as per FM's policy the film was made available on DVD initally to subscribers and then eventually to non-subscribers as well.

Haven't even heard of 19 Films from your list, arsaib.

In a way I'm actually glad to hear that because it shows I successfully viewed/selected lesser-known and esoteric films, though I certainly hope they don't continue to remain so.

But I guess, you've catched most of them at festivals, right?

You're right: 25 were seen at festivals/showcases/individual screenings; the rest on home-video.

Did you watch Argento's "Mother of Tears" at the TIFF after all?

No, sorry, I had to let it go due to scheduling conflicts. But I am keeping an eye out for its proper theatrical release.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Very interesting list. I've only seen a few, and am looking forward to watching the rest. Too bad I missed the opportunity to watch Rafi Pitts' Zemestan on the big screen in Munich yesterday. I also couldn't watch it at the Berlin Film Festival. Hope it pops up again, somewhere, but almost all of the films you list also didn't get a theatrical distribution in Germany, so there's little hope. Fortunately we have a home video market.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:28 am

Thanks, A. Zemestan is one of the very best Iranian films I've come across recently, and I hope you eventually get to see it, even if it's only on home-video.
arsaib4

Return to Lists and Recommendations