Best films of the 90s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best films of the 90s

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:29 am

I'm amazed that it took our list master this long to put one together; I certainly expect it to grow relatively soon. Not surprised to see an inordinate amount of American films (percentage-wise). Also, you probably love Scorsese as much as A loves Zemeckis. The only film on your list that I haven't seen is Wayne's World!
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Good lord son, I saw it twice in the theater, and about 25 times since then. Last time I watched it, the film was surprisingly well made (similar to the reaction I had to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure). Spheeris goes all out and is willing to try anything as a director including a "Scoobie Doo" ending. Plus hanging out with most of my friends we're prone to randomly recite entire scenes. The film is much, much more than five guys singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" in a car.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:46 pm

The film is much, much more than five guys singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" in a car.

Well, now it's on my exclusive "to see" list.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:45 pm

Just wait until we put up lists for our favorite 80s films. I can imagine giving a ten page essay to someone trying to convince them that Big Trouble in Little China is the greatest film ever (I certainly thought so at the age of 6). I bet I've seen Big Trouble in Little China more than any film ever made, and its the only film along with possibly Tango and Cash (also with Russell) that I can recall completely reenacting as a kid.

The second Wayne's World definitely had its moments, but like the sequel to Austin Powers it spent too much time reusing a bunch of catch-phrases already established. Anyways "Party on Wayne'.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:06 pm

Yeah, the 80s, I bet there will be some surprises
Have seen and liked both Wayne's World films, but it's been a while.
A

Postby A » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Kicked out Sleepy Hollow. I guess this points into the direction of more "refined" taste for the future...
Hope to publish a short review of it soon, though, and I also hope this won't happen to other films from my list when I revisit them.
A

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 pm

well that will make Trevor happy, he seems to passionately hate the film
wpqx

Postby A » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:18 pm

You are right to the point, BUT... I have posted a review which will hopefully urge him to reconsider the matter.
A

Postby A » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Icluded Sokurov's "Whispering Pages".
A

Postby wpqx » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:02 pm

I have added Panahi's The Mirror. I admit to watching very few 90s films over the last several weeks/months, but I'd like to revisit Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut as part of my ongoing revisiting his films. I remember liking Eyes Wide Shut a lot, and consider it a near masterpiece, perhaps another look will confirm it, but 1999 was a damn strong year, and in my opinion the best of the decade.

Have you watched Wayne's World yet arsaib?
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations